Sign in to follow this  

Coming to Fly! in the near future (scenery pics)

I'll take a stab. Would it be Martha's Vineyard?

Scott,I guess it does look a little like parts of the east coast - no, the key is: MID-Northeast. A lot of people who live near the American coasts consider everything else the "midwest", so that's why I used that term.Hint: It's west of Pennsylvania.

Randall Rocke

Guest Roy

Never having been there, I'm just guessing wildly here,but I think it's somewhere in the great lakes area.Give me a couple of days, and I'll find it :-)Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

You're on the right track, Roy! Bart actually gave a big clue in his post as to the location. :-)

Randall Rocke

...that'd be Put-In-Bay, Ohio (on the "North Coast" of the U.S.)Looking good, but hope you can add the flaming water effects a few miles east (where the Cuyahoga River empties into Lake Erie ;-)Nice work, guys!

Yep - you get the prize!Describing these scenes from Lake Erie in order from the initial post:1. Put in Bay and Put in Bay airport (not included in Fly! - you'll see why in a moment)2. Marblehead Peninsula3. Kelleys Island with Kelleys Island Airport (also new to Fly!)4. Sandusky, OH - Griffing Airport (you can see Marblehead in the background)When I first created Put in Bay airport, you might say the generic version of the island was a little off:

Likewise with Kelleys Island:

We were in the midst of TerraScening all of Ohio anyway, so I went ahead on that area. In order to include the north part of South Bass Island (where Put in Bay resides), I had to add the northern 1/2 of the global tile, which includes Middle Bass, North Bass, etc. right on up into Canadian waters and Ontario. Not wanting to leave Canada out, I did the best I could to import some decent land use shapefiles for that area, but they refused to function in the TerraScene environment for some reason. So...I had no recourse but to use limited detail DCW shape data to build the Canadian scenery.I'll be shipping this stuff off to Bart shortly, where he is hoping to add some details to the Put in Bay and Kelleys Island airports.

Randall Rocke

Sounds like you need some Cedar Point models... and while you're at it Kings Island. What is Ohio, without them?

G'day Randall,Great scenery!! really nice. Your water mask must look like a block of Swiss cheese. :-) Have you given any thought yet as to how you can distribute fly!II scenery. My meagre attempt is going to end up being nearly half a gigabyte and it's only 2 files. 233MB for the terrascened global tile and 217 MB for the coast.pod.Is there any compression tool that can be used? I'm only on 56K dial-up modem and it takes about 6 min per MBI can't see any way that I can share my creation other than burning on a cd and mailing.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

As you know, Cedar Point is part of the Marblehead area - got some Roller Coaster models? Also, Kings Island would be in one of our southern Ohio packs.

Randall Rocke

This page has some real photos of that area. It's quite scenic in real life!John/madmax

Roger,This has been a long-standing concern - a few quick thoughts.1. Are the sizes you list compressed in a zip file or uncompressed? If they are not compressed, what are the sizes zipped?2. Is the scenery built entirely from shapefiles with no extra image editing (painting)? If so, shapefiles compress fairly well in a zip and you can upload the project "pack" for people to render themselves.3. If none of the above would be appropriate (edited image files would need to be included), then how about using Paul Van Roy's method? Compress the images by converting them to JPEGs and send them up with the project data, texture set, etc. Include instructions on converting the images back into TGA files for people to render.4. Finally, I'm going to be talking to the Avsim store managers - I want to propose they sell CDs/DVDs of TerraScenery from freeware producers. The creator would send the master disk to the Avsim store. They would duplicate it and package it, then use the already existing "storefront" to promote, sell and ship the scenery to buyers. The price would be very reasonable - covering the cost of their duplication and handling. Any extra income could be applied to the Richard Harvey Scholarship fund, etc. I don't know how they'll respond, but we need some type of online store to do this - sure would resolve a lot of scenery distribution issues, while (I believe) staying within the licensed use of TerraScene.

Randall Rocke

That looks great, John! One of the disappointing things with the USGS data for Put in Bay (South Bass) was the bad rendering of the island's shape. In comparison, Kelleys Island was beautifully rendered. That tells me that South Bass was right at the edge of the USGS data - may even have been "cut off" a little.At least it's got the "general" shape and is in the right place.

Randall Rocke

Cedar point is right near sandusky. I havent a clue what tiles they're in, just brought back memories of childhood. :)Thats about all michiganders know of Ohio. Its where the theme parks are. LOL