Sign in to follow this  
rodger

Shared sceneries are dangerous....

Guest tonyc

After installing the great NY metro v2 pod and being amazed at all that wonderful airport scenery, I took off from Islip, LI for New Haven with a final stop in Martha's Vineyard. I used VolNav for the flight plan, Infometar for the weather and cfto for ATC. Inevitably, after a few minutes taxiing or in the air , FLY2 crashed. I rembered, way back, discussions on how shared scenery eats memory, even when it's not used. I am only allocating 32 meg(agp aperture) of normal ram for my 128 meg video card, and have never had a lock up or a crash to the desktop. As soon as I removed the NY metro shared scenery , I was able to fly to my destination without a crash. I would like some comments. thanks.tony

Guest nycflyer

Tony,Did you have my NY sceneries installed prior to this?This new shared pod is no different than the v1 version aside from creating an mlf to be able to place the models.The shared pod only contains Dave's models and about a dozen other buildings, there are no scenery files in it.I haven't any problems with either version and haven't heard any other users reporting a problem.Did you fully remove all remnants of Dave's original package?What was the error message, if any?-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Guest nycflyer

Tony,What do you mean by "I removed NY metro and all of its corresponding data files"?Which data files are you referring to?Does this only happen with that flight plan?Do you have any TRI NY terrascenery, or Ken Salter's NY night scenery installed? One One of those is a known source of problems in that area.I don't have nearly all the add ons in my shared folder as you, perhaps that may have something to do with it.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Guest tonyc

Scott,the Ny_metro_ga_airports_v2.zip file contains the pod file and an number of files that go into the "data" folder. I removed these. The ny_long_island_v2.zip was also removed. Clearly, the Islip departure pertained to the Ny_long island scenery file. As I explain this to you, I realized that I need to re-install this file first to make sure that the problem goes away. If it continues, I will try to takeoff from this airport without a flight plan and let you know. Thanks for the questions that help think straight. The answer to Tri scnenery and Ken's files is no, I don't have them installed.tony

Tony,maybe I am wrong but your GlidersV2 looks like it is a folderand not a .pod file. Maybe that causes problems?????Rodger

Guest nycflyer

Oh, the taxiway files are what you are referring to.Let me know how you make out!-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Guest tonyc

Ok. We're on to something here. I have re-installed Ny metro and LongIsland airports and this time flew out of Islip without a VolNav flight plan and CFTO, except that I am always in "Persistent mode" for my flying. Sure enough, this time as soon as I took off, a minute later, I got the following error:Msg: Fatal error caused by .DLL "systemmodulespcC4TO.dll" in DLLIdle routine.File: Dllman.cpp line 1619Time: Sat Mar 29 03:46:47 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)It looks like that Persistent mode remebers some portion of CFTO and this must create a conflict. I'll try the same departure without Persistent mode and see what happens.Thanks guys.tony

Guest tonyc

Scott, prior to v2, I did not have any of your scenery or Dave's(at least I think). The first time the computer locked up was during a phase in which I was taxiing onto rny 28 at Islip, responding to ATC, and changing camera views. At ths point the screen turned multicolored and froze. Next time, I went throug the same procedure, except my use of ATC. I was able to take off, but at one point FLY2 crashed to the dektop. The third time, I removed NY metro and all of its corresponding data files, and the flight with ATC was completed. This is the very first time FLY2 crashed since the latest patch upgrade. Here's the shared scenery folder pic. I will remove some of the other shared files and see what happens.tony