Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Scanner frequencies

Someone told me the fs2k2 uses the same frequencies as in the real world. just wondering if this is true. Just in case that is not where can i find frequencies around my area?(MIA)

I just found the sight just for this. www.airnav.com

btw i am only able to hear the actual transmissions coming from the airplanes but not of the ground controlers. Is this how it is suppose to be or i should hear them when i am closer to the airport?

It will depend on your antenna & how close to the airport you are. I'm about 10 miles from KSLC & can usually pick up controllers quite well, but ATIS is low volumn & somewhat distorted. I'm also using a larger external antenna with a desktop scanner. Handhelds will also work well when closer to the airport. I've heard some very interesting transmissions such as cargo getting loose, and a passenger throwing up & causing quite a mess!!BTW---- many of the frequencies FS2002 uses are from the actual data-bases. They may not be up to date though.L.Adamson

You can purchase an Airport/Facility Directory from any pilot supply shop. They usually cover 3-4 states and have all the frequencies for the various airports. In addition, they contain all the air to ground frequencies for the various ARTCC's and TRACON's. They do NOT contain the private frequencies that airlines use for ramp control. For example at KIAH, Continental has two private ramp towers that control large chunks of ramp space. For those, you can try Jeppesen charts or the web.Much of the A/FD data is available at www.airnav.com. An excellent and still free web site.Mark Jackson

Guest Lobaeux4

I use a full set of military FLIP charts. Haven't really seen a frequency (with the exceptional ATIS freqs.) that aren't as published. Even flying into Hong Kong, I took out my approach plate and the frequency was the same as what was programmed into FS2K2.Joe

VHF communications are line of sight only. If you're too far away (which can be as little as a few kilometers) from the groundstation you won't be able to hear it, especially if you are below the station and/or there are buildings or other obstructions between you and the station.The power of the transmitter and your receiver (plus antennae) also influence this.