Sign in to follow this  

Fly!2 keeping the ailerons neutral

Flying the FlyHawk with minimum reality (so the easiest way possible) I cannot keep the ailerons in neutral. The plane banks on and on and on.What should I do?

Hello Joost,Have you read the First Time Fly!ers and Fly! FAQ anchored posts at the top of this page? They give a lot of useful information for the patching and setup of Fly!II.Here are two items that may have something to do with your problem. In the First Time Fly!ers post you will see the following recommendation:NOTE: If you already have installed and used Fly! II before patching, be sure to delete all *.hst files before running the application AFTER you patch. Also, you will need to reset the Aircraft, Options... for every aircraft to all Trim Steps = 1 and all Exponential = 100% before they fly or they will have control issues.Follow the above Aircraft, Options... settings for every aircraft so you can have proper control response. I would also check the Realism setting tab ADVANCED, and make sure that Prop Effect is disabled. In real life, prop torque has to be countered with rudder, especially when climbing under power, as this will try to make the aircraft turn.For the most realistic flight-modeling of the Flyhawk (Cessna 172), I recommend Rob Young's Flyhawk update, available here in the Avsim library.

Randall Rocke

You may have the same problem I had.Check 2 things:Is your yoke an analog gameport yoke?When you start Fly and open Settings...Test Controls, does the rudder or aileron position indicator seem to be off-center?If the aircraft rolls slowly and requires some input from you at all times, and the rudder or aileron is off-center, adjusting a value in the control.txt file (Fly folder) may help.

Hello Randall,I have removed Fly!2 completely, reinstalled it, than installed patch 152->210 and in the and patch 210-240.After that resetting aircraft options (Trim Steps=1, Exponentional = 100%). This results in an up-to-date version of Fly!2, but did not solve the problem.Thanks anyhow,Joost.

Hello Eric,My yoke is a Virtual Pilot (CH products) about 13 year old, I guess it is analog, but I have no idea.In Settings / Test Controls the aileron does not seem to be off center. It mainly flickers from a position in the center to the far left and back. With a slight change on the trim weel it moves directly to the far left or right. The same happens when I move the yoke as lightly as possible(about 1 to 5 millimeter) to left or right.In the Axis Window, the Aileron indicator moves nervously from left to right and back over a lengt of about 1 centimeter.Right now I am testing changes in the CONTROL.TXT file. The strange thing is that in CONTROL.TXT all axisses are defined with the same values:Version: 65536min: 0max: 65535center: 32767null zone: 0.05000minzone: 0maxzone: 65535swap: 0Changing in the X-axis the null zone value from 0.05 to maximum 1.00results in no aileron-change at all when banking the yoke.Do you have any idea which value should be changed and why?I guess what I am missing in Fly!2 to is a window where I can adjust the joystick sensitivity for ailereon and rudder.

Guest tonyc

if the ailerons naturally turn in one direction as soon as you remove your hand from the yoke, it's a ch drivers and win98/xx issue. I had to remove all the ch drivers and reinstall them before they worked correctly. This happened when I tried to calibrate the yoke incorrectly and, somehow, locked in the incorrect joystick settings. tony

Hello Tony,No, it is the other way around. When I do not touch the yoke, it stays (though nervously twitching) more or less in the center position. It is when I bank the yoke slightly to the left/right, it banks immediately as far as possible to the left/right. There seems to be no "in between" between neutral position and maximum bank.This happens only on banking (X-axis).The same yoke works perfectly with other Dos-based simulators like MSFS98 and AS2.

I also noticed in the Options / Setup Axes window that on the first line (aileron) initially there is the description "x-axis". After a few seconds this description disappears and I have to replace it manually.This does happen almost every time I open the Setup Axes window.In the mean time I have canged same values in the CONTROL.TXT file.At nullzone a value of 1 makes banking impossible (the airleron indicator will not move at all).But with null zone at value 0.9 and the min values at 10000 (instead of 0) and the max values at 55500 (instead of 65500) there is a small improvement.In this situation the continuous banking to the left can be stopped by a quick bank to the right followed by neutral positioning.Also the excessive banking to the right calmes down somewhat. In this way flying is possible (although not very realistic, unless you want to practice severe yoke-problems).

Last night in bed I was thinking, maybe Fly!2 is not a Dos-program so let's check out the calibration of my yoke via Windows. So I did and all my problems are solved.Thanks to all.