Sign in to follow this  
Guest ftessler

Looks like Meigs is no more

Guest Bart

Read this on AOPA this morning...Mayor Daley bulldozes Chicago's Meigs FieldCity of Chicago suddenly tears up the MeigsField runway, stranding some 16 aircraft. Update: Mar. 31

There's a photo on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.http://www.chicagotribune.com/-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Bart

AOPA also posted this if anyone would like to send a letterTo express your sentiments regarding the closure and destruction of Meigs Field, contact Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley at mayordaley@cityofchicago.org or Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich at governor@state.il.us.Kinda bummed me out to see this, I was planning on flying the troop up here over the summer to enjoy a day at the aquarium and planetarium. Guess I need to work on a float rating now!c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/pics/ryans...ight/flight.gif http://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Guest Ken_Salter

Yes, it's a damn shame, folks throwing away a perfectly good airport like that.Sorry, a little attempt at some humor for you movie buffs on a dreadful situation. Though I'm not from Chicago, I have been there many times and it is my favourtie big city. I'm sorry to see Meigs go before I have a chance to fly in or out of it. :-([h3]Ken Salter (aka SaltyDog)[/h3]MSFS & Fly! Forum Moderator[link:http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=5E79C613-0A60-4A3B-BDC1-F9EE49F2D4FE]Join the AVSIM Online Cancer Fight!!

It's April 1st. In the words of Admiral Ackbar, could this be "a trap!"Please tell me it is.

This is a real shame!One of the greatest thrills of my life was accompanying my FBO into Meigs in the early 70s on a charter run. We shot the approach over a beautifully-lit Chicago on a clear evening, landing on Rwy 36. Needless to say, my heart was really pumping as we descended that last few feet over the black water to the threshold!We flew out around midnight that same evening - absolutely wonderful!

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

Nope, the story first hit before the 1st.....sorry

Guest DSandberg

Hours later, and I'm still shaking my head over this.I particular "enjoyed" the "That's YOUR problem" quote. I wonder how he'd react were someone to dig a trench through the mayor's driveway so he can't get his car(s) in or out, and then say that?[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest jsippy

I am thoroughly disgusted with Daley... Not only did he lie about keeping the airport open, but now he has caused a potentially dangerous situation for both the city and the aircraft that fly around it.I hope that other people have done what I have just done... Email or write the Illinois Governor and voice your opinion about Daley's treachery.This man is exactly the kind of politician that America can do without.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest DNelson

Here's a copy of my letter...Mayor Daley:I'm so glad that you finally got your way with Meigs Field. Everyone knows that you've been trying to do this for many years. To now blame it on "terrorist threats" is simply pathetic. It reminds me of a five-year-old that keeps whining and changing his story until he gets his way. The only terrorist activity going on in Chicago is in the Mayor's office.Surely you're intelligent enough to recall that the worst terrorist attacks on our soil have been accomplished with commercial aircraft and rental trucks. When do you plan to bulldoze O'Hare and the Chicago Loop? Soon I trust.Your complete lack of personal integrity, even by the lower standards afforded to politicians, is appalling.I'm sure it will not be read, but I feel better just writing it. ;)Also CC'ed the Illinois governor and AOPA.Dan

Guest Eagle

Why isn't he and/or the contractor who did the destruction in jail?If it is OK to destroy the runway at an airport, then I guess I can dig holes in the Shannon airport and nothing will happen to me.

Guest Bart

This is also from AOPA.orgCould Meigs happen elsewhere?City of Chicago suddenly tears up the MeigsField runway, stranding some 16 aircraft.AOPA photos by Mark Schaible. Mar. 31

Guest ftessler

I have to admit that I thought this was an April Fool's joke at first. This is really sad. Every fall, I attend a meeting in Chicago (along with around 50 or 60,000 others) at McCormick Place. One of my favorite ways to pass the time was to watch aircraft take off and land at Meigs Field. -Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator