Sign in to follow this  
Guest DSandberg

InfoMETAR announcement is an April Fools message.

Guest DSandberg

Sorry folks. It appears I was too subtle ... no one seems to be getting the joke (with the possible exception of rodger, and I'm not even sure about him). And here I thought I was being far too obvious, if anything. It was my first try at an April Fools joke, and I guess I don't know how to do it right.The first clue was right in the subject line ... i.e., the version number. Perhaps this is more easily spotted by international simmers, those who normally spell out dates with the day shown before the month (1.4.03 = April 1st, 2003). I left out the second period because I figured that would make it TOO obvious.The first feature item was just supposed to make you go "huh" a little bit, and possibly question my sanity. :) The idea of a feature called "Thicken" still makes me chuckle, though.The second item: AFJ reports? AFJ = "April Fools Joke". Also, the day that NOAA comes out with anything specifically for flight sims, much less anything as fancy as this, there will also be pork found circling in the landing pattern at all major airports, mark my words.The third item is where things begin to get (purposefully) ridiculous. I can just imagine a map with a bunch of little grinning teddy bears or geckos wearing overcoats on the map, gazing whimsically out at the weather from under their umbrellas and grasping for their hats. :)And the fourth item ... well, if you can think of a way for Diablo II or Freelancer to be supported in ANY way by InfoMETAR, you're either daft, or else smarter than me!And then there's the final clue, in my signature of the original post(you have to look carefully, or else just drag the mouse to reverse highlight the region in order to see the text more clearly).Now, for some real news as some sort of an apology. I do intend for there to be a new update to InfoMETAR, probably sometime this summer. But any new update to the utility by definition must do a complete job of supporting Fly II (i.e., the current version of the sim), and it will still be a few months yet before I can even run Fly II well enough to test what works on it weather-wise and what doesn't. So don't expect anything before then.Again, my apologies. I didn't mean to mislead anyone.- David

Nice one David :)I was wondering how you were going to support all those sims. Thought maybe you had gone off the deep end :-lolAllen

Guest DSandberg

Hehe, thanks ... I feel better now that I see no one is yet calling for me to be banned from the board. }> Guess I've learned that I just don't have the intestinal fortitude needed to stick by an April Fool's joke for more than a few hours ... in this case it was working a little TOO well. :-eek :+ [table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

David,Remember who you're dealing with - especially if they're scenery designers, engineers, etc. A lot of us take EVERYTHING literally - and, after all, you've certainly piled up some great achievements.But "thickening" metars??? I thought that was really a strange one! :-lol

Randall Rocke

Guest tonyc

David might be on to something with "thickening metars". I thought he was referring to clouds changing colors according to their "threat".tony

Guest DSandberg

That's a different take! But no, all I was implying in the joke message was that this "faux version" of the utility would make duplicate copies of the individual METAR reports in the files being loaded into Fly!. A process that would be entirely pointless, by the way, as all but one would be discarded during import. You can trust me on this much: that message was almost entirely devoid of usable ideas ... except maybe for the cheerful weather gecko. :)[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

I am very bloody sad I fall from grace when I read this do you joke or will you give I dont bloody understand. I look for ward to it if you do it as I like the high winds tha t push me up were I need it to be. Im on the not once a week to keep my money in my bloody pockeyt so I learn from it so what is aprol feels day? I have not it before you say you do it . dont eat this thoOK far now Ivor V Bigne