Sign in to follow this  

AC 97 sound problem related question.

Being away for a while now and after a series of pc crashes, I just recommence to fly II.We have installed FlyII on my son's pc using my complete install (and all add-ons) through a home LAN network. His system : AMD 1800+ XP proc., MSI Gforce 4200Ti - 64ram; DX 8.1; WinME 384 RAM; MSI MB with sound on board (AC97 with latest via sound drivers).He has good frame rates, but the following problem :-after a few minutes in FLY II he got a "stuttering sound" problem (sounds then like a sort of echo) and at the same time a stuttering in frame rate.Could this be related to the AC97 sound on board system ? Should I define other/certain values in the sound part of the fly.ini, like wave output blocks ? Changing eg. to 16000 Hz setting didn't solved the problem.Reinstalling of DX hasn't solved this problem neither.Anyone please ?Thanks in advance.Ludovic *Astronotus*Too late I have read about Rich's passing away. I'm deeply touched and wish to offer my condolences to his wife Tara, his family and to all his friends of the Avsim community.

Guest tonyc

1. make sure that FLy's sound option reflects that particular sound card--I think it will show a couple of options. 2. check the stereo option as well.3. some ac features on some motherboards are not very good. I had an ecs motherboard with an AC and the sound was full of stutter. I now have an ASUS a7n8x and the sound is perfect.4. If it all fails, SoundBlasters are very cheap these days.tony

Thanks, Tony,But could the sound on board cause these problems ? It works well in other applications. BTW, we sometimes have amazing fps rates (AI planes :50-90), and then suddenly a stuttering in sound and frame rate). Is it also possible that the mouse drivers are causing all this ?I'll give it a try buying a soundblaster tomorrow and let you know the results.Regards,Ludovic

Guest tonyc

Guaranteed. Sound Blaster will give you best performance. Don't forget to disable the onboard card. On board sound cards are not always reliable. That particular one is known to be a problematic one. Be sure to look up some forums just to make sure.tony

Tony,The soundblaster(Creative SB Live 5.1) works fine, obvious of course. But even the soundblaster didn't solved the problem.Is it possible that all this has to do with the kind of installation?(=namely copy of my FlyII folder via LAN home network to my son's pc).I think I'll try a reinstall.Regards.Ludovic P.

Guest tonyc

It should not ..... the only thing I can think of is...does this happen with all aircrafts? Is your hard drive working when the sound acts up? It's definitely not FLY2 related, even if the sound anomaly appears only in FLY2. Remove your fly.ini altogether and restart FLY2. It will create a new one, and maybe that will correct the sound association to your computer.tony

>It should not ..... the only thing I can think of is...does >this happen with all aircrafts? Is your hard drive working >when the sound acts up? It's definitely not FLY2 related, >even if the sound anomaly appears only in FLY2. Remove your >fly.ini altogether and restart FLY2. It will create a new >one, and maybe that will correct the sound association to >your computer. >>tony It happens indeed with all aircrafts (AI also). I already removed the fly.ini and restarted FlyII before, but no result.I agree, it isn't Fly2 related. I'm going to reinstall from the beginning to see what the result will be. My FlyII folder is about 3,6 Gb, and this is quiet a lot to pass through a LAN I think. Also, some programs like Yakster, Texture switcher etc. are just copied this way, not installed on the other pc ? And there are a lot of add ons in my FlyII folder (aircraft/data/art ...). Maybe some dll's in the FlyII folder are corrupt on my son's pc ?Anyway, thanks for your help.I'll keep you informed.Ludovic