Sign in to follow this  
Guest pilotsim7828

What is causing this ?

Guest bwilson

Hi Jeff,I don't know what the fix is for the Map problem you've noticed. (Same situation on my system also.) I have a question for you though. Is Hicks Airfield an airport that you (real world) fly out of? The reason I ask is because that's where I did most of my Private Pilot training before coming to school full-time here in Oklahoma ...Part 141.Blake

Guest pilotsim7828

Blake; I did fly out of Hicks until i soloed, After that I went to Meacham ,(KFTW) Because, I wanted to learn more of the ATC . Flying in and around Class Bravo Airspace. It did help a great deal How far along are you in your hours now? And where are you flying now? Jeff Akins:-abduct

Guest bwilson

Last I counted Jeff I had 178 hours. That was about a month ago. Currently I am working on my commercial ticket. The school I am going to is Airman in Norman, OK. We fly out of KOUN. Wayne Roberts was kind enough to model this airport after recieving a written email from me. I get the impression he want's to model every airport existing :)Just in case you're curious, the reason I came up here to OK to go to flight school is because of time. Although Dallas is my home I needed a Part 141 program that was VA approved. Also, Airman is the only school I know of that guarantees your ratings for the advertised price. Regardless of hours accumulated and checkride re-takes. Not a bad deal. When I was flying out of Hicks, it was at Split S Aviation under Part 61. That was taking forever because I could only fly weekends. My goal is to go pro via the instructor route. Once I'm out of debt I would like to fly missionaries and maybee even do mercy flights. Of course this will have to be once I've got my flight career established. ...wouldn't even mind starting a flight school. I'll end this autobiography here.Blake

Interesting... where is this? I lived in Saginaw most of my life. Ofcourse, this was Saginaw, MI. I didnt know there was another... :)About the map. Im not sure there is a fix... the only way for you to find out is learn how to make Fly! maps.There is a problem with one of the Los Angeles sectionals (default), so its something I've been wishing to do, but havent had the time. I did do 'some' research on it the other day though. Here are some of the resources I found:Tutorial on how to make Fly! maps:http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/The previous tutorial mentions that you can get a tool to convert your images the Fly! ECW format at http://www.ermapper.com/I want to point out though, that if you go to that site, make sure you look through the entire "ECW native support & Application plugins" List. Its a fairly large list of popular programs which have either native support for, or a free plugin for ECW file format.There are plugins for ALL kinds of graphics utilities. From Paint Shop Pro, to MS Office, to Photoshop. InfraView, a popular and fast freeware image viewer/converter, has native support. Thats all I know so far. :) Doesnt look too complicated, but it does look a bit time consuming.

Guest pilotsim7828

So, I guess you know tony at Split S Aviation . That is not a bad deal, Although, I didnt like the type of gas they used in thier A/C. ( mo gas) automotive fuel... Very dangerous!Really dangerous in the summer time, That is also the reason i went to "Air First" Working on Insturments And Commercial certificates at the same time. Not an easy job to do < Also Thanks for the links on the map tutorial > Jeff AkinsPPL 298 HrsINST 40 HrsCOMM 15 HRS172 RG N6275RFT Worth Meacham , Texas KFTW:-wave

I live in that housing development just to the east of Hicks. I can see the east hangars from my back porch, and I'm pretty much right in the pattern. :-)nick

Rob Westhouse has corrected a lot of the errors in the default charts in chartpatch v2 in AVSIM files.He has also added many other charts.:-cool

Guest pilotsim7828

Thank you very much for the info; Hopefully this will work out on these maps. Jeff Akins:-eek

Actually the map problem I was mentioning, is in the maps created by Rob. By default, I meant the one that pops up when I hit "M" (Its the VFR sectional). If I then switch to the other sectional, I appear in the right spot. Dont know why this is, perhaps my file is corrupted or something. :/Maybe if he reads this he'll know.

Just so you guys know, I just rechecked the map I was having problems with. With the Paint Shop Pro plugin, it was a breeze, to just recheck. (Obviously I got to skip all the scan/editing steps)Probably took me all of 1/2 hr, and had I initially checked the 'pixel' sizes listed in the .map file... I'd have found my problem in 5 mins! LOLIt was just a typo... 3899 was set as the width... when in reality the ecw was 8399 pixels wide. ---- map name ----Los Angeles Sectional Chart 2 - South - Revised by R Westhouse July 2001 ---- size in pixels ---- orig 3899,475483994754

Guest Rob Westhouse

I would have to go into the same airport to be sure, but here are some possible sources of problems with the maps:1. There is some error due to the curvature of lat/lon lines on a flat map. This error is more apparent the closer the map is to the poles.2. Fly! 1 and 2 had a bug in the maps. As your plane approched the right or bottom edge of a particular map, it would not be placed on the map accurately. To verify this bug is what is causing the map, try shrinking the size of the map window. If the plane is located more accurately as the window size is decreased, you are experiencing this bug. Keep the map window as small as possible to minimize this bug.3. A grid reference error exist near this airport in the .map file. These are the errors I fixed for many maps. It is possible there are more errors in default maps that I missed. For the files I fixed, the old Fly! map files must be overwritten with the ones I uploaded.Hope this helps.http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest bwilson

Yes, I do. Great to chat with another flyer from home! U going pro too?Blake

Guest pilotsim7828

Rob , Went to your Web site, And could not download your files ,Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jeff