Sign in to follow this  

First Tiles of Ohio Project Uploaded (pics) (long)

And we're off! I have uploaded the first 6 global tiles of the Ohio Project to the File Library. All of them are TerraScene Project Packs and include all rendering data (USGS data, Tiger Census shapefiles to update water, roads, and landmarks, and a custom water mask). Just put the data in the proper folders, open the project file and click the TerraScene 2.1 Render button.Here's the coverage so far and the name of each tile:

The Marblehead global tile is available in two forms - the standard project pack for personal rendering or as a fully rendered tile - you'll need to use Download Accelerator if you get the finished version, which tops out at 139 MB, but I believe it is manageable. :-)This is a partnership project between myself and Bart Simpson, who is putting together some nice airport models to go with this scenery. We realize that a lot of Ohio may not be that attractive to people outside of the state - it means a lot to us as we live and fly within it in real life. That's why we wanted to render the entire state and the border areas. When finished, it will total 13 global tiles and top out at around 5 GBs, so the whole thing is probably not for everyone. However, we can certainly recommend some of the unique areas like Marblehead and Cincinnati which include beautiful portions of Lake Erie, the Ohio River, etc.Here's a rundown of each tile and a pic.Marblehead - This beautiful area includes the Lake Erie coast and beyond with Marblehead Peninsula, Put in Bay (South Bass Island), Kelleys Island, Middle and North Bass, etc. on up into Canada. It extends to Cleveland in the east, including most of the city, KCLE and Burke Lakefront airports. DEX files are included to add the missing island airports of Put in Bay and Kelleys Island. These airports are also being modeled by Bart. Here's Kellys Island and Bart's rendering of the airport:

Mansfield - Mansfield is in the central NE of Ohio, and includes a portion of Columbus in the SW, Wooster in the NE, and Coshocton in the SE. Here's a shot over Mansfield Lahm Regional:

Columbus - I have named this global tile after my city, though only the SE corner of the city is a part of it. However, that corner includes KCMH, Port Columbus Intl. Ironically, the City of Columbus sits squarely at the intersection of 4 global tiles, so it takes all 4 of them to get the entire city in TS form. To the eastern edge you will find Zanesville. The tile extends quite a bit south toward the Ohio River and into the foothills of the Appalachians (the Hocking Hills). Here's a shot over Buckeye Lake to the east of Columbus:

Cincinnati - This area is a real treasure (and includes the main stomping grounds for Bart). It includes most of Cincinnati and part of Covington, Kentucky. You will find the Ohio River separating the city from KCVG, it's main airport. Cincinnati Lunken and Blue Ash airports are also in this area. The tile extends quite a bit to the west picking up the rolling hills of Kentucky and Indiana, extending as far north as New Castle, Indiana: Here's a shot over Lunken (with some more of Bart's work):

Dayton - The Dayton tile includes all of Dayton and Wright Patterson Air Force Base (home of the famous Dayton Peace Accords) and the Air Force Museum. There are many great small airports in the area. The tile extends east through Springfield all the way into the SW corner of Columbus. Here's a shot over beautiful Dayton Wright Bros. Airport, south of the city. As you can see, Bart's done a great job with this one:

Lima - The Lima tile includes that city in its central-west region, with the city of Findlay in the north and Marion to the East. Here's a pic above the Lima airport:

Keep a watch out for Bart's addons, and welcome to Ohio!

Randall Rocke

Nice work! I have been too busy to do much with fly for a few weeks, but I can't wait to download this stuff.John/madmax

Hello RandallI can't tell you how great it is to find some scenery of Ohio. I currently reside in the eastern portion of the state and at this time I have to rely on my PC for my flying "needs". I'm definately looking forward to some quality VFR flying. Many thanks,gasman

I'm on a staff retreat with the people I work with, so I haven't been able to get online for a day (I'll be back home Tuesday night to continue the project).The next two global tiles will be in the north (Toledo area and Ashtabula). Next week, I'll start down the very eastern part of the state - those tiles will overlap into PA and WV, also.Where do you live?

Randall Rocke

I'm a bit north of Youngstown and I did a little flying out of 4G1 in Pennsylvania (not modeled in the Fly! series), mostly to places in Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania. I