Sign in to follow this  

How I did it.....new motherboard and cpu and.....high f

Guest tonyc

I finally purchased an Asus a7n8x motherboard for $110 and an xp2100+ ($80)rated to go to 2700+ from vgames.com. After assembling the system, I went into my bios and changed the frequency from 100 to 166. My system loaded as an amd 2700+ and has been working for 2 weeks now without any problems. FLY2 simply flies with it( 30-50fps--no AA or antialialising). The video card, which is at 128 megs, still seems a little small for the texture hungry program, especially when it's flying in heavy clouds. Perhaps someone could draw less texture intense clouds? I will take a look at them and see if we can reduce them to 256 or 128 from 512. This, I believe, would reduce a major bottleneck in the video card.tony

Congrats on the new system. New computer stuff is so dirt cheap these days that it's just crazy!Part of the trouble with textures is that Fly often makes quite inefficient use of memory on the graphics card. It seems fairly common for the majority of the texture memory to be wasted at any given time.John/madmax

Guest tonyc

Yes, that's why FLY2 will be happy to see 256 meg video cards.tony

Guest tonyc

3dlabs brings back some distant memories of a great video card. This, of course, was before NVidia stole the show. tony

Guest pilotsim7828

Hey You all; Have you seen the prices of these cards ! OUTRAGEOUS.... Jeff Akins

Guest Dean

2,300 bucks for a Wildcat4.:-eek

Guest chezz

How about Matrox Parhelia is it good enough?chris

It's high end stuff (they're doing tons of things your run of the mill Radeon or Geforce isn't doing, like virtual texturing, deep Z buffers, lots of precision carried through the whole pipeline, asynchronous image downloads, etc), so there are always high end applications that need stuff you can't get on consumer cards, and you pay for it :). Consumer level stuff is consumer level for a reason. The same situation sort of exists for mainframes compared to PCs. It's a small market, but when you need a mainframe, a PC just won't cut the mustard. I wouldn't recommend a multi-thousand dollar graphics card for Fly though, as the professional cards typically aren't well tuned for games :). John/madmax