Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

A second hard drive for terrascened areas?

Hello;Somewhere in a previous post, it was mentioned that you could put terrascenes on a second hard drive, change the "Searchotherdrives=0" to "1" in the UI section of fly.ini, and you might see higher FPS. I can't seem to locate the post now.I tried this today, placing socal.scf, socal.pod and socald.pod on my slave drive, changed the fly.ini and no luck. So I tried various things such as identical directory paths to get to the files on both drives, placing the files in the shared folder on slave drive, placing files in root directory of slave, etc. Only seems to work in my original folder on the master drive.Anybody have any experience with this? :-zhelp ThanksRobert

Hi Robert!Put your sceneries into a "Scenery" folder, placed in root directory of the other drive.Change the line in red in the fly.ini (it is orthographed right, the first one you can find (italic) is wrong):[uI]askUserForGraphicSettings=0defaultStartScreen=1lastUsedScreen=1937011316askBeforeExiting=0gLastUsedSituation=searchPodFilesFirst=0multiplayerName=Pascal_LSGClogbookFile=Log BooksDefault.loguseSpeechRecognition=0overlayState=10000000101111airportOverlays=0000000000010000000000000airportOverlaysMilitary=1navaidOverlaysVOR=1navaidOverlaysNDB=1navaidOverlaysVORDME=1navaidOverlaysNDBDME=1waypointOverlaysNamed=1waypointOverlaysNDB=1waypointOverlaysOther=1useAutoSave=0autoShowMOTD=1showOverlayPalette=-1showModePalette=-1showInfoPalette=0minimizeFPChecklist=0minimizeNavLog=0firstRun=0userVRAMSetting=2alwaysCreateVehicle=0allowDebugInfo=1allowSkyTweaker=1allowMultipleMaps=0serchOtherDrives=0defaultSearchCountry=UNITED STATESdefaultSearchState=ALL STATESsaveGlobalWeather=0startupOptions=1startupAircraft=WORLDFLYHAWK.NFOstartupAirport=SZ83515startupRunway=startupRunwayEnd=startupEngine=1language=ENGsearchOtherDrives=1Cheers!Pascal

Many thanks Pascal, I'll give it a go.Regards, Roobert

Jeff,I think the first one doesn't have any effect. I wrote it myself with italics... it was not originally :-)) Set the second at the end of {UI} to 1.I wrote it with red to avoid confusion, but naturally, it's not in red in the fly.ini... ;)Pascal

Guest pilotsim7828

Why are there Two of them in mine ? Should i delete the last one? Jeff Akins

Guest chezz

Robert,Mine is working perfectly in the second hard drive. Also delete any terrascened data in the "Data" folder.chrisrpll

Guest Steve Brown

Yep, me too.Works a treat.Just put Dave Taylors london scenery and Paul Brooks scenery (of which I have all working now, thanks for the help Dave) on a second drive. What a diffference.Cheers PascalRegards, Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPGUnited Kingdom Sceneryhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2tms&Go=SearchRepaintshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2Air&Go=SearchOther fileshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2Misc&Go=Search

Pascal and all interested;Just wanted to get back to you to let you know it worked great.In addition, I was able to make subfolders to the scenery folder on my slave drive, (example: F:SceneryCaliforniasocal.scf, socal.pod & socald.pod). This gives me a quick way of checking to see if I already have terrascene files in a certain state or area before downloading new files from AVSIM's library.It also appears that you can put terramodeled scenery (example: F:SceneryCaliforniaVan Nuystmvny.scf & tmvny.pod) on the slave drive as well although I don't know about the impact of this to FPS yet.Thanks againRobert

RobertGlad that it works for you too!I prefer to let the 3d sceneries inside the normal folder and put only the large TS and satellite sceneries to the other drive. I suppose this is better because Fly! can load the landscape and the 3d objects at the same time. The work is divided between the two HDs.Hope it makes sense! In fact, I didn't make enough trials to be sure, it's just an hypothesis.Cheers!Pascal

Hi Steve!Good that it works for you!It's also good to defrag the HDs from time to time. I have a partition dedicated to sims, which is defragged twice as often as the other partitions.Cheers!Pascal

Guest pilotsim7828

Hey !! What `s the deal... I have TWO of those , None of them are italicsWould i change both or just one ? The firs one I see is 12th from the bottom, The other is the last one in the INI file under U I. Jeff Akins