Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

UK Photo scenery - Paul Brooks

Guest roland_lfor

To allow us (I mean : foreigners) to explore these great UK scenery, does someone have the UK maps for Fly! II ?Thanks

Alas-Fly has no default maps for outside the US.Best bet is to buy the standard 'paper' VFR UK charts in either CAA or Jeppeson form.I personally like the CAA '1/4 mil scale (1:250,000) charts but the 1/2 mil cover a greater area. If you wish to practice 'proper VFR navigation techniques' which of course you can with 'photo scenery' like Paul's then the 1/4 mil are worth going for.You can get charts, both the VFR I'm referring to and also 'IFR low or high level enroute'from www.pilotwarehouse.co.ukwww.transair.co.ukwww.flightstore.co.ukThe UK air traffic org http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp has access to airfield layout charts and all the IFR approach charts-the site is a terrible example of 'how not to do html'and you do have to register. However it's free once you do that and the IFR approach charts are very good.DaveT

Guest roland_lfor

Thanks for the linksSteve, I've registered at AIS, but I didn't found any pdf charts.Do you remember how you did it ?

Roland-Here's what you have to do, remember this is an 'html challenge to produce as many identical sub-menu's as possible'!They obviously don't really want you to get to them at all!!The page (as you know) comes up on the login (you are notified by e-mail that your logon has been approved I think)(http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp)So enter your login, and you get the first 'menu page'.Select 'PUBLICATIONS'then 'UK AIP'Now select the small text 'The UK AIP Package'Now another Sub-menu'choose 'UK AIP' (yes again, again)A drop down menu-and you you choose (you've guessed it!)- UK AIP-this time also'AERODROME DATA' (aerodrome is a quaint old fashioned english word put in to confuse anyone under 50 years old!)Now another small dop down menu-''AERODROMES-SPECIFIC'Finally we get a full listing of all the UK airfields (sorry 'aerodromes') with codes as well. All possible 'IFR approach charts' are listed.Choose any one and another menu lets you see each of the .pdf files.The 'aerodrome' charts (ie airfield layouts) are great for Fly!, they usually show a 'Lat/Lon' on the top of the page that relates to the small 'X' centre of main runway. These should be exactly the same in Fly! if the Fly! database is accurate.Beware there are a couple of instances where the pdf's won't allow you to print them (Heathrow's layout chart is one). They were saved with some 'read only' function on. It can be got around, can't immediately remember how.The one set of chart's that can't be found 'free' are the low/high level Enroute charts. You can't work out proper airways and intersections for IFR route planning without these.You'll have to buy them.But anyway the joy of 'photo scenery' is seeing the 'real ground' underneath, I'm starting a 'Back to VFR' club for flight-simmers!DaveT

Guest roland_lfor

Whouaaa !Sure I followed the wrong way at the first time !Thanks a lot Dave for this precious link