Sign in to follow this  
Guest spenik

Screenshots and Images

Whats your opinion?"...performance of the forums has become more critical as of late and this forces us to take more proactive steps in trying to help the forums the best we can.""And this doesn't matter whether you upload the image to our server or you link to it off another server."If the image is not from your server, how does it have an effect on the performance of your server?"All we ask is everyone try to be reasonable and respectful to our wishes and the many people that aren't fortunate enough to have high-speed connections."Who complains about images in pages? I personally (and I would tend to believe the majority of people in the fly forums) want to see them... I want to get peeks at all the great stuff in the works. Im stuck with dial-up access! and I wouldnt dream of complaining! Who on earth has?I'd suggest a poll. It might better your service to know your readers wishes. Just my two centsBrad

Guest Steve Brown

I agree BradIt makes it worth while coming along and "seeing" what everyones up to. Its one of the things that keeps me coming here! If none of us can post pictures why bother coming! Maybe if this is going to stay Rob at Fly Developers may have a lot of us coming his way to post our pictures. If thats OK with Rob?"Pro pictures in our forum campainer"Regards, Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPGUnited Kingdom Sceneryhttp://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Just wanted to clarify something before I get misconstrued:Its THEIR servers. I fully understand, and support their need to reduce server/pipeline workload. 1) If an image shows up as only a link inside your message, then it is 'served' only to those who specifically wish to view it. (I saw a post where Tom A. actually warned someone against this. Why?) I disagree with this policy. What difference is there between a link to an image, and link to a page full of images? 2) Outside linking, which has no effect on their servers, I also very much disagree with, and think the policy should definitely be reconsidered.Brad

Guest pilotsim7828

I wish to say that the pics are what keep me coming back also, That if there is bandwidth conformities, and space being taken up. Why dont we get a website of our own, and leave Avsim just to keep the hand typed letters here, While we enjoy the work of others somewhere else. Oh and by the way Steve ...Awesome webpage you have there, Just one Problem ! The scenery page and Splash screen pages Dont connect Jeff Akinsaka: Pilotsim7828

Hi Brad,I thing we must interpret Tom A`s message like this.Giving just a link to a picture on another server is NO problem.BUTJust a link wich has to be clicked to see the picture.NOT an URL on the topic making the picture visible at opening of the topic.Not that this is something consuming bandwith at AVSIM but is slows things down for someone opening this topic without a fast internet connection.Slowing things down ,make the visitor stay longer connected to the AVSIM server and that has a negative influence on the AVSIM server.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest spenik

Well, I have DSL so I can't complain about anything loading too slowly! But I agree that pics are invalubule! "...a picture is worth a thousand words..." and made with a thousand lines of code! If non-programers, like myself :-) , are to apreciate the vast efort put into avsim, LET THE PICS COME!