Sign in to follow this  

Runway lights visibility question.

Guest chezz

How far the runway lights should be visible given that visibility is clear and the slider in FLY2 is set to 60 miles. I noticed in a clear night runway light is only visible within 5 miles from the airport however the buidings, tower in the airport are visible about 10 miles (the runway also appears within 5 miles) from the aircraft. In real life within what range (distance and height) can you see the runway lights in a clear night? Can this be tweaked in FLY2?chrisrpll

Hi Chris,It can be tweaked .You must make some experiments yourself, but compare these settingsFly.ini ( standard ) [GRAPHICS}viewableTaxiwayPavementDistance=2000viewableTaxiwayLightDistance=2000markingTotalFadeOutDistance=12152viewableTaxiwayHeight=1000viewableTaxiwayMarkingDistance=3000runwayLightFogPenetration=1000lightScalarDusk=50lightScalarDawn=50lightScalarDay=100lightScalarNight=25runwayLightDistanceFadeMinFeet=12152runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxFeet=30380runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxRatio=75lightIntensityStandard=0.500000lightIntensityCenterline=0.500000lightIntensityTouchdown=0.500000lightIntensityALSF=1.000000lightIntensityRAIL=2.000000lightIntensityVASI=3.000000lightIntensityREIL=3.000000lightIntensityTaxiway=0.125000Fly.ini ( tweaked ) [GRAPHICS}viewableTaxiwayPavementDistance=50000viewableTaxiwayLightDistance=300000markingTotalFadeOutDistance=30380viewableTaxiwayHeight=100000viewableTaxiwayMarkingDistance=3000runwayLightFogPenetration=1000lightScalarDusk=50lightScalarDawn=50lightScalarDay=100lightScalarNight=25runwayLightDistanceFadeMinFeet=12152runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxFeet=30380runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxRatio=75lightIntensityStandard=0.500000lightIntensityCenterline=0.500000lightIntensityTouchdown=0.500000lightIntensityALSF=1.000000lightIntensityRAIL=2.000000lightIntensityVASI=3.000000lightIntensityREIL=3.000000lightIntensityTaxiway=0.060000This example is only showing the lines in FLY.ini [GRAPHICS] wichhave to be tweaked for this issue.You may change these settings yourself and create the visability you like.( make a back-up from ini first)RegardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

These settings seem to increase the taxiway light range, but the runway lights always fade at 7 miles. Or am I doing something wrong?I've actually turned off the taxiway lighting, so that I can use a very large bright green texture map to make the beacons visible. If I don't turn off the taxiway lights, the big green beacon light is used there too.Fly needed just one more patch to differentiate the lighting scheme, and it would be very close to an industrial sim....

Guest chezz

Yes, the above settings increases the taxiway light range but not the runway lights. Leen is there a tweak in the runway lights this my concern too.chrisrpll

Hi guys,These settings are the only ones I know.I did not know they only did something to the taxi-ways and not to therunway-lightning.If someone knows how to fix this PLEASE HELP??RegardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

What are you doing to get the beacons visible?Im trying to make a new beacon at the moment. I've also edited taxiway lights (the raws) so that the green and blue are not huge bright lights. (trying to get it more real in the distant, instead of bright white as the result of the ini tweaks)I as you, have noticed they (beacons/taxi centerlines) use the same graphic. This is very disappointing! So now that I have taxiway centerlines like I like them, my beacon is a teeny-tiny little light.Doh!Anyway, Im trying to make a new beacon for a local airport anyway, so Im wondering, how can we make the beacon use a different texture?Is this what you've done?Im starting to think, atleast for the 'TRI' beacon, its not possible. In looking at their beacon, the spinning light mechanism model though pointed to in 'beacon.arm' is not even drawn. Im affraid they've gone and hard coded it all now, so we cant even alter the model. :(

Preferring beacons to taxi lights, I made a fat green grnlight.raw that would look good (though still too small) for beacons, and then turned off the taxi lights in fly.ini. That's all we get.I only resized the beacon08h.bin object in Zmodeler without investigating the texture mapping (if there is any). No change. But maybe if we enlarge beacon08h and map the grnlight to a face...have you tried that? I haven't...I wonder if we could figure something out by running a reverse compiler on fly.exe?

Doing any alterations to beac08h.bin 'appear' to be futile. In my sim the model is never even shown! All that appears is the tower, and a spinning light. No 'head' for the tower/light.Im going to try to take a look tonight at the keyframe editor. I've read that smf files can be animated... so from what I can tell, this is our best shot. (Unless I can find info on animating a bin... been searching avsim forums, old and new, and not finding any info on such... though Im sure its possible, because I could swear someone made an animated lighthouse for Fly! 2k) Anyway... still looking, havent 'tried' much yet though. :) Im about at that point though. The other option, is to turn off taxi lights ... as youve done, and make models to replace them. This may actually prove to be more attractive anyway! Since taxiway.exe gives me problems alot of the times, and odd corners/joints. This would also make it possible to have taxiway edge lighting, without taxiway centerline lighting. The negative... it would all have to be placed by hand.Anyway... Im thinking we should move this too the Developers forum. :)Brad