Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

Please help: updates won't install

Hi,I've just purchased Fly!II in Australia, and downloaded all the updates from Avsim. When I try to install them, I get the error message "Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."I've tried to install Feature updates 1 through 4, FlyII152-210update and Fly2update230, all with the same error message.Flypatch240 unzips to a series of files which I've been afraid to move to the Terminal Reality folder in C:Program Files.The Fly2.exe does not give a version # in properties, just a creation date which seems to be when I installed it on my system, and a modified date of June 14 2001. Any help much appreciatedPaul

Guest Max Cowgill

I get the *exact* same error after just having purchased and installed Fly! II in the U.S. Using build 197. I read in the update readme that some install difficulties are caused by bad hardware (specifically memory) so I brought my ram settings back down to the minimums allowed in my bios as well as brought my fsb back down to stock speed and this made no difference. I followed the proper uninstall and reinstall procedure and still get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks,Max Cowgill

G'day Paul and Max,Just a thought on my part, but once you uninstalled the program, did you run Scandisk and then Defrag your drive? A lot of times this helps as well. The manner described in the FAQ really should work. Paul, if you could describe your system setup, we may be able to help spot something further. Max - your setup should work rather well, actually.The only other thing at the moment I can think is that you have corrupt downloads of the updates, and might want to try to re-download them. Hope this helps in some way! Keep us posted and we'll get you gents up and flying somehow!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Max Cowgill

Thanks Ken, I actually got the patch off of the cd included in the latest issue of PC Pilot. I'll try d/ling it off Avsim and uninstall/reinstall. As far as defraging goes, I defrag my drive every time it sees any major changes (i.e., program install/uninstall) so that shouldn't really be an issue but I'll try your suggestion anyway (hey, what can it hurt?).thanks,Max Cowgill

Guest Colins2

Paul & MaxThere were some issues for a few users; these are detailed in the First Time Flyer's FAQ at the to of this page.From memory:Some sound cards caused problems.Some AV programs caused problems.Most Norton/Symantec av/tools can and will cause problems.The best way and order to install the program and patches is detailed in the a/m faq.To be safe, it's probably best to stop all background tasks while doing this.I disagree with the statement about running Fly! in between patches, that is nonsense. I've had Fly since the first day and certainly didn't sit around waiting for the patches to be issued! However, if you are doing it all in one go, then it won't hurt anything.If you have a failed patch, you will have to start over. That is due to the way that the patch process works - not ideal, but that's all we have.Once you are patched to the latest version then Fly!2 is very stable for most users and thoroughly worth the effort of the patching process :)Colin

>Paul, if you could describe your system setup, we may be able to help>spot something further. >Ken Wood :-sun1Thanks Ken, I really want to get Fly! running at its optimum.My system is: Winfast 7350KDA m/b powered by SiS 735; AMD Duron 1.2ghz processor; Pixelview GeForce2 MX400 video card with 64meg video ram; 256meg DDRram; Windows 98SE operating system.If you need more info, please let me know.Paul

G'day Ken,I've managed to get the updates installed :-)I ran scandisk, then defragged as you suggested, then I downloaded the updates again before I reinstalled fly!II.This time, I noticed that the CD was labelled as flyEUROcd, so I followed the directions in your FAQ and started with update4, and IT WORKED!!!!So, thanks very much for your help.I'll be fly!ing around happily now :D.Paul

G'day Paul,I cannot take credit for the FAQ(s), as Ken Salter and others put them together and online. :-) But am glad it all helped you in getting the Sim up and running! If you haven't yet downloaded it, get the Brisbane scenery... a great work by the Australian Fly! Group (Danny Vickers)! Maps and Andrew Brown put together an ATCSound.pod file as well. :-) So should bring a little authenticity to your fly!ing. Cheers!Ken WoodAtlanta, GA.:-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Hi Max,Guess it can't hurt, and try a couple of Colin's suggestions as well - turning off your anti-virus, any background programs running, etc. (thanks, Colin!). Do let us know if you succeed or not, eh? Cheers,Ken WoodAtlanta, GA.:-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest Max Cowgill

Well, after following all the suggestions here I'm still unable to get the patch to install properly. Oh well, I guess it's time to migrate to that nice Epox 8rda+ Nforce 2 board I've got sitting next to me ;) I'll just need to get some better ram for it... Anyone have a couple 512MB sticks of PC3500 or better ram they want to get rid of? I've got an MSI KT3 Ultra 2 motherboard and one 512MB stick of PC2700 DDR ram (infineon chips) up for sale/trade in case anyone does.thanks,Max Cowgill