Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Detroit TS Pack Finished (pics)

Due to a request, I have taken a brief hiatus from the Ohio Project and added one global tile to the north of the Toledo global tile of that project. The Toledo tile extends into the southern part of the City of Detroit - the Detroit tile continues up the Detroit River from the northern tip of Grosse Ile through most of Belle Isle. The top tip of Belle Isle is cut off before the entrance to Lake St. Clair, but combined with the Toledo pack, will give you most of the City of Detroit.The Detroit global tile extends to the north through Flint and as far south as Ann Arbor, including DET (Detroit City), DTW (Detroit Metro Wayne County), Detroit Willow Run, Oakland (Pontiac) and many other airports. In the same manner as the Ohio Project, all data files, textures, etc. are included. Tiger Census shapefile data was used to update water, highway, and landmark areas, with DCW data used (low detail) for the Canadian areas.Looking up the river from Grosse Ile

Over KYIP (Willow Run airport)

Above KPTK (Oakland - Pontiac)

I hope to have this pack uploaded this evening.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Excellent work Randall. I wish I have DSL connection to download those sceneries.chrisrpll

Nice work. I wish Chicago was in fly II. Please let there be a fly III

Chris,Unless you're running a 28.8 modem, you should be able to download these packs.The actual finished pod size for the Detroit global tile is 469 MB - that's why I made a pack with everything in it to generate yourself, as that would be too big for anyone to download or for Avsim to store very many of).The Detroit TS scenery pack is 74 MB - this is quite manageable, even for a dial-up. When you consider that low resolution full rendered global TS tiles for Fly! 2K average 80 MB (and plenty of them were downloaded by dial-up users), this pack isn't that bad.If you use Download Accelerator or a similar tool, you'll speed up the process and provide yourself with an easy way to continue if the download is ever interrupted or the connection lost. Just run the download when you won't need the computer for a few hours or when you're going to bed.

Randall Rocke

Have you downloaded the Chicago (Meigs) scenery from Ken Salter? He did a nice job of creating the Meigs area, including a number of the Loop area buildings. He also included a small amount of TerraScenery of the Chicago area to go with it.If you ever want to expand the TS coverage, simply remove the TS pod and SCF file, leaving the TM pod and its related SCF file in place, so the models can sit upon your new scenery.Also - there is a new TS out called Chicagoland. It was created by Eric Nelson and features a new night-lighting technique. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but it certainly looks interesting!

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Ummm I was thinking of sending you a blank CD to burn with post paid stamp when all the ohio sceneries are completed (just a thought );-) . well I guess I have to start dowloading just to catch up with your other upcoming sceneries.cheerschrisrpll (currently here in CA)

Chris,I'm certainly quite willing to make a copy on disk if you have any problems downloading the data packs (or even if you're not). :-)Currently all of the Ohio Project Packs plus the new Detroit pack would add up to 456 MB in their zipped mode, so all of the projects would fit on one CD.Completed scenery would be another story. I've been sending completed projects to Bart through the mail so he could match it up with the airport sceneries he's building. Even zipped up, the first 8 global tiles occupied 4 CDs.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Hi Randall,Thanks,please email me your address and as a token I'm upgrading my system memory by end of May to 1 Gig DDR3500 if Corsair XMS PC2700 256 (333) DDR will fit your system specs let me know.chrisrpll

Chris,My snail mail is:Randall Rocke346 Olentangy Forest DriveColumbus, OH 43214I'm upgrading my own system in the middle of May, so I'm afraid the memory will not be a match - thanks for asking!I am leaving town for a week to deal with a family situation - will return the weekend of April 26. If you can time your mailing to arrive at the end of the week, I may be able to send it back your way on the 28th or 29th.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Will send the cd's by mail on the above dates.thanks.chris

I installeed both Detroit and Toledo. I get an arrow message "Can't slect texture ddet 7719 Raw because you did not allocate any 32x32 textures in rener ini" I do not know what that means.Also I find no Art folder in the Fly II directory.

As posted in the Fly! FAQ in the General Forum:#9, "Fly crashes with 'you did not allocate any 32*32 8888 textures"Add this following line to your render.ini (located in system): maxTextures64=4 to cure this problem.You may want to check out the Render.ini recommendations in the FAQ and increase the maxTextures64= line above Ken's initial recommendation. I'm away from home right now and I can't recall where I'm running this right now - it may be at 16.If you have not added any upgrade packages for art (such as Jure's clouds, etc.) the art folder will not exist yet. Just make a new folder called "art" in the Fly! II root directory, copy the appropriate file(s) into it and you will be fine.

Randall Rocke

I installed Andrew McLean's Scenery which incluldes a lot of Michigan and scenery with Terminals etc for Detroit Metro and City Airports. How does that affect your scenery. I can't tell if the different sceneries interfere with each other. Titus Mendell

Titus,I am not familiar with Andrew's scenery - it sounds like some good stuff to check out in the future, though.If all Andrew did was to make airport "modeled" scenery and taxiways, etc. and did not add any TerraScenery to his packages, there should be no conflicts. If he also included terrascene areas there may be conflicts.The error you mentioned previously appears to not be from my scenery, but from his scenery for DET. Just add the texture allocation I mentioned to your render.ini and his scenery should load.

Randall Rocke