Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

P51 - Takeoff Question

I really enjoy flying the P51, but can't seem to get a straight (and safe) takeoff. I am constantly rolling off the side of the runway as soon as the tail wheel raises. I've not mastered landing, although I've gotten pretty good at a controlled stall with a quick settling of the rear wheel on the surface. But takeoff continues to elude me.Help with this important phase of flight is appreciated. Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Roy

Have you checked that none of your pedals are breaking?A friend of mine also have the Pro Pedals, and he always have to apply a little "back-pressure" on one of the pedals to have it release the break.If he forgets, he always ends up in the field :-)When he tried to calibrate the pedals, the pedal-software said: Center pedals and press a button to confirm.But the pedals have no buttons, so no calibration is possible.He just had to learn to live with it.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Definately not my brake pedal, but thanks for suggesting. In fact, to correct the drift, I sometimes have to apply opposite braking in addition to opposite rudder. This is an aircraft control problem, not a CH Pro Pedals problem.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

>Definately not my brake pedal, but thanks for suggesting. In>fact, to correct the drift, I sometimes have to apply opposite>braking in addition to opposite rudder. This is an aircraft>control problem, not a CH Pro Pedals problem.>In my experience with this simulated aircraft; it's been easier to track straight down the runway "after" the tail has lifted. I don't find myself having to pre-set rudder trim & applying fair amounts of right rudder like a real Mustang, but the rudder seems to have enough authority to keep on the runway............ at least with my setup. I'm using older Thrustmaster analog pedals with a Saitek X45 USB joystick.You could always try adding power perhaps a bit slower to keep the drift in check................. if you havn't already.L.Adamson

I'll definately try adding power slowly. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks.BTW: I didn't mean to sound unappreciative in the prior post. I am. I just know its not a braking problem. Hope you didn't interpret it in a negative way.I'll let you know my progress. May not be tonight though - have a family committment.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hi David,Take-off with the Mustang is tricky.some hints:steering on taxiway and platform > low speed and steering with rudder(tailwheel) and differential brakes.at the runway >get centered first and then make speed.Keep tailwheel on the ground and lift tailwheel when speed is high enough to give pressure on the rudder.When the tail has lifted steering is only possible with motor running fast.( providing pressure on the rudder).In the landing sometimes extra rpm is needed for pressure on the rudder.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hey, Mind sharing your joystick config for the X45?Just got one, but there are so many buttons I havent figured out what to do with them all. Perhaps having a setup to start with, I can figure out where I want to go from there?

X-45 ----Lower hat switch --- views/panningUpper hat switch --- elevator trimB button --- flaps downA button --- cycle between views (MSFS)red fire switch --- flaps uptrigger - brakesThrottleD- button -- landing gear4 way orange button on throttle -- mixture & propI don't use the rotory dials except for IL-2, nor the rocker switch, as I use rudder pedals. The above setup is used for FS2002 & FLYII, with exception of cycling views. Still using the C on the keyboard with FLYII.