Sign in to follow this  

Help getting started with AI

(Appologies if this shows up twice, I tried to post it a minute ago, and it didnt show up)I've installed AI vO9(e), these files:

Guest tonyc

I've noticed a slight discrepancy between departure times and how one uses the "time" option or the T key to change time. Use the vector map and use the vector map to see if the plane shows up. Then open the time option and set the time 5 or ten minutes before departure time. As you change the minutes in the time window, you will see the plane start moving.Make sure that the flightplan and the taxi park point to that flight in particular. I believe that the latest upload has KPVD as an example--not 4s2. The folder pointing to mfs2002 is needed for when you create new flight plans and taxiplans. These programs automatically assume that there's FS2002 in order to compile. After compiling, the bgl files( two, one for taxi and the other for traffic)show up in the folder. You simply copy them into the Fly2database folder. I have created shorcuts that facilitate access to these folders so that I can quickly create new bgls and transfer them into FLY2.Let me know if you're still confused. I have been creating traffic and have been using some FS2002 ai traffic utilities that simplify the process. tony

Ok, I got one to show up! The Big Green Monster from 2k, at PVD. (Man is that thing ugly, but thats beside the point)1) Part of my problem was that I didnt understand the flight plan formats. So im not sure I was 'there' at the right times. I read the TTools? documents now, and have a grasp on the file formats now.Hadn't read them before, because I just wanted to see what it was like, before I dug in to editing my own.2) Why was Buddy.dll not showing up? This time it did.3) It appears you can't just alter the time via the date/time window. At PVD, I set the time to 12:40 (5 min before departure), and got nothing. This may be a result of the afore mentioned dll problem. What I finally did to get it to work, was set the time to 12:40 (departure is 12:45), then restarted fly!. When I restarted (thus dll was re-initiated), it all worked. Buddy dll correctly showed up that time.Q: Are we supposed to disable, or enable Computer Aircraft in the graphics settings? I saw something mentioned in the readme, but Im unsure if this was in reference to something else (perhaps a script), or the Graphics option.I'll see how it goes from now on...Q: What tools are you using Tony?Q: Is there an easier way to create the taxipark data? This seems daunting to do by hand. :/Brad

I can give you some clues :- when you are changing hours to see something make a change larger than 15' : that's necessary for the dll to change positions.- you should remove tri factory traffic ai.- we'll have some nice traffic ai when some new aircrafts will be done ...some commuters for instance.- you can use MS excel to get an easier (?) way to make taxiways. Just prepare a path with coordinates dll then make a graph, cut, copy and past it with excel to get some others ones. I'm preparing KSFO this way and I'll post excel file as an example.Best regards to all of you, and thanks Tony for the help.Laurent (rotw team)

I thought of one more question,I looked through the Airports.txt file, and noticed all the airports have 4 letter ICAO codes, there are no 3 letter codes. Can we not use AI in smaller general aviation airports?

Duh, nevermind... 4S2! Thats only 3 letters :(Sorry, had a brain ####...

Ok,Im back, with another snag.I get a crash to desktop when I press F11 using CoordinatesF.dll"Fatal Error in DLLKeyPress Routine"

Guest tonyc

Strange... I only get this when I am in the "scenery make mode"( Ctl E). Otherwise, my f12 and f11 work just fine. You did replace both dll, right?tony

Yes, both are version 9e. Im not in edit mode as well.I did some further testing, by removing all other dll's, to rule out a flyscripts/dll problem. I get the same result. I've checked keyboard settings as well, and none are assigned to 'F11'.One more thing that might help, 'ALT-F11' gives the same error!(I was using flyscripts earlier, and 'ALT-F11' is the keypress it uses to stop the scripts)Anyone else see this behavior?