Sign in to follow this  

Could I talk anyone into..

adding Ranger Creek airport to the Fly!II database? I'll supply all of the information needed if anyone would like to tackle it. As payment, I'd be willing to package and upload all of my Terramodels sceneries for California, Washington St. and Kansas. At last count, I had 65 airports TM'ed. I also have taxiways for most of Alaska, at least the airports that have taxiways that is.. :DI'd try it myself, but it has been such a long time since my Fly!II crashed, that I'm a little nervous. I've added so much stuff over the last few months that I'f afraid that I'm going to be pushing it if I try to edit databases.Anyone want to help me out?If not, that is okay too.Pieter

Email me the info. scissors2--mailserver earthlink.net

Guest spenik

Taxiways in Alaska?! Yay!

Guest dajackman

I was wonderng if anyone would do this for me also. I guess I should have asked. I too have attempted this and made nothing but a mess. I was tring to add a new airport. I could never get the ground flattened correctly and there was this yellow line running across the scenery. Anyway, maybe I'll give it another try. The airport was Stafford airport in Stafford VA (KRMN) http://www.staffordairport.com/

Oops... little snag! I was using the FAA database for source info, and it lists pretty much all of the 'airport' fields... but when I started to create the runway, I realised the FAA record for the runway is basically empty, and doesnt include lat/lon values for the ends.So... There is a tool here on avsim somewhere to figure out lat/lon values such and such a distance from such and such a point. I suppose I can dig around and try to figure that out... but I really havent got that much time to put another thing on my plate (and learn yet another fly tool)!So, I came up with another idea.Someone here with either FSImport, or FS2002... download the scenery here:"21W - Ranger Creek, Greenwater (Washington) USA"http://www.dangerous-airports.com/airports/a/21w.htm(Get a load of that website! ;) I dont know much about FSImport, but would be great to give some of those airports a whirl!)Back to the topic at hand. If someone... some way, can determine the runway ends. I've already got the rest of the database files created.If FSImport works, I 'think' its supposed to create the dex files for you, so you may not even need these files I created, and you'ld have the scenery to boot!Awaiting help,Brad

I went into FS2k2 and lined my aircraft up exactly on the ends of the RW at Ranger Creek, then hit the SHIFT-Z to get the coords. Here is what I got:Runway 15 -- N47* W121* 32.14'Runway 33 -- N47* 0.55' W121* 32.00'Hope this helps.Thanks again.Pieter

Actually I just came back to post that I figure out a way to get it.I went to TopoZone, put in lat/lon of airport, zoomed in as far as possible on the area, then just hover mouse over map where the runway is 'somewhat' outlined, and it shows the coords in the ie statusbar.File for future reference.Oh, also realised I could make a terramodels project, if need be, and see if there was a satellite photo for the area. If so, place a windsock at the center of each end, that'd save the points to a file.Back in business,BradYeah, I set up a terramodels project, and had it do the USGS download. It shows the lat/lon in the statusbar, and since I can zoom way in on the photo to see the center of the runway, is probably the most accurate, or atleast most guaranteed to line up with Fly! scenery.

FWIW, I tried this once. I successfully got the airport into the database, but Terrascened terrain is fairly rugged there and I had problems with the flattening. I ended up with this really bizarre and unnatural looking plateau raised far above the valley floor. I didn't pursue it any more after that point. John/madmax

Yeah, I got it in, and checked it out. The runway is totally unusable with the default elevations.Dondo, I was gonna ask you, have you terrascened the area? Obviously due to the rugged terrain, its going to need hand editing, so what elevations are you currently using?If terrascene, can you send me the TRN files for that Quarter tile?

Thanks for all the effort.Yes, I have Terrascened that area, but I only generated the elevations, and for those, I used the default Terrascene setting. I'm not sure what a TRN file is or where I would find it.Thanks again.Pieter

Hello everyone,I have enjoyed adding project airports to my system and thought I would give 21W a try.(Haven