Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Runway in the water

Why is this runway in the water? Sky Harbor airport.

Because the generic scenery coastlines for that body of water are out of position in Fly! II. The runways are probably in the proper locations.

Randall Rocke

Guest spenik

I don't know but thats a riping machine you have that gives you 32 fps at 1024 res!

Guest juvat2

Hi KMiller,Kind of the same thing happens to me with Fly(1), except I get all water, no run-ways, nothing, just water. I suspect the landclass is wrong from my Fly cd and even though it is allowing me to create logged flights from Sanderson to Bremerton, there's not really "Fly!" land under the gears. I hope I'm wrong though. With my dial-up, creating my own pods or downloading someone elses here at the library is impossible.Jim Buffett

If you like this airport and would like to use it, "repairing" the water problem may not be a big issue. First check whether the water area is actually registered as land. (slew the aircraft off the runway and set it down on the "water" - if it doesn't sink the surface is actually land - try several spots around the runway to make sure it's safe).If you sink, then it will take some advanced work to fix the problem. If your testing shows that the surrounding area is solid, you're in great shape! Make sure you're upgraded to the v240 level with Fly!II. Download and install the Terrascene 2.1 program - follow the instructions and extract the textures. Then TerraScene the environs of the airport - Voila! - the land and water (graphically) will now be in their proper places and you can use the airport normally.

Randall Rocke

I just went to Sky Harbor Airport in Phenix and my ruways are solid grey. I have not addons installed.Titus

It is Sky Harbor in Minnasota.I did slew and it is land for most of the "water", but as you slew further it becomes water.I have Terrascene, so I will run it for this airport.Thanks for replies.Re: frame rates, it is quite fast. I just installed new motherboard, cpu & memory in my computer.specs: Soltek SL-75FRN-L nForc2 board Athlon XP 1700 at XP 2200 speed (11x166) 512MB DDR 2700 memory Geforce 3 64MB video windows 2000 pro all Fly II sliders maxed out ( i.e. best detail ) 2x antilising

No change after Terrascene generation. I slewed plane.

I took a look at the area - it appears from this image that DYT sits on a narrow "sandbar"-type island. No wonder it's surrounded by water. I would guess that only TerraScening will build such a thin promentory:

Looking at the tiles through TerraScene, Duluth sits at the intersection of the 1/4 tiles of that global tile. In order for the TerraScenery to appear, I would estimate the eastern 2 1/4 tiles would have to be rendered. This should give you the island, but would still leave out the major portion of Duluth. For best results, I would recommend rendering the entire global tile.It's also possible that there is no USGS data for the island - this is sometimes the case when the scenery borders on a coastline. In that case, you may be able to construct the island with Tiger Census shapefiles.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

HiFor the ground tiles that are actually land, i.e. solid, you need to get Ground Type Transform from the library.This excellent utility from Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold will allow you to change the texture from water to land for the default scenery.You will need to slew around in the editor to get a list of tiles that are affected.Colin

When I ran Terrascene, I used 5 mile airport radius. Wouldn't this have included the eastern 1/4 tiles?I dwnloaded Ground Type Transform and will play around w/ it.

I ran Ground Type Transform for Globe=190,165; Tile=34,31 and no change. See pic.

In this case, you would have had a small portion of four 1/4 tiles - they intersect very near the airport. Did you end up with TerraScenery to the south (Wisconsin) and Duluth city proper (Minnesota) to the west? If so, then TS worked fine - it just didn't have any info from USGS on the narrow island.You'll note from the image I posted that water comes very near to the runway on its south side. The island is mainly to the north of the strip - there should be solid land on the north side of the strip and on both ends. If the plane doesn't sink in those locations, there is no need for Ground Type Transform in this case.I may be able to create the island from Tiger Census shapefiles for you and send you the data for rendering. I just can't do it for a few days as I am involved in other projects.

Randall Rocke

Randall,Thanks for your effort with this. If you can create, that would be great. I am not familar with Tiger Census. Only do it if you have the free time. There is no rush for me to have this.Kline Miller

Guest Colins2

KlineGround Tile Transform will only change the type for the default scenery. If you are TerraScening the area then that scenery will be displayed instead.Colin