Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

METAR Format for Windows?

Guest product

Hello All,I've recently started using Fly2 on a PC major performance boost from the MAC version!!), but I've so far run into a small problem.I have some "favorite" METAR weather that I like to fly with, but for some reason it doesn't appear in the "load METAR" window when I try to select a file. In fact, nothing appears. Is there some file format METARS need to be saved in to be visible to FLY in windows? I've tried saving them as plain text and such, with no luck. Other than advice, perhaps someone has a METAR file they can eMail me that works, I'd like to test it to see what might be wrong with mine, which were transferred from the Macintosh.Thanks and Best Regards,Joelproduct@ix.netcom.com

Guest DSandberg

Fly 1.0 and Fly2K look for METAR files to appear with the default textfile extension (.TXT) in Windows. I can't check right now, but if my memory isn't faulty, Fly II is the same.Also, the METAR file needs to be stored in the METAR folder under your Fly II installation folder for Fly II to see them when you first open the Load Metar dialog. (I know next to nothing about Macs, but I'm under the impression that folder locations aren't as much of an issue there? Or perhaps it's something like a different style of line termination in your Mac files ... if the Mac text files use the Unix-like newline-only convention rather than the CR/LF that Windows text files do, that could explain it as well.)[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

Joel,Just a question - did you place the text files in the Metar folder?

Randall Rocke

Guest product

Hi and thanks- they are in the METAR folder, but the extension is "DOC". Need to figure out how to save them as .txt, or maybe just change the extension manually?Best,Joel

Where are you getting your metar files? If you use Infometar, they'll come in properly. You can also use Infometar to convert other types, such as RWX metar files to standard metar files. Regardless, they should be TXT files.Part of the problem may be in the manner you are downloading the files from your source - if you just click on the link on the site, windows may be interpreting it as a word file and adding the suffix. If that is the case, change your downloading procedure - right click the file link (don't open it) and choose "Save target as..." from the context menu. Give a location for the txt file to be saved and it will download properly as a text file.

Randall Rocke

Guest product

Calling it a text file was the solution- thanks!