Sign in to follow this  

Athlon 2100XP - What motherboard and memory?

I've been looking into the Microstar MSI KT3 Ultra MS-6380E motherboard, i've found excellent reports and ratings - rated even higher and better than the ASUS A7V333.This seems like the board to go for. And one thing, even AMD recommend it!Here are the good links:http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/m...MS-6380E+Ver1.0http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Mother..._kt3ultra.shtmlhttp://www.viahardware.com/kt333roundup_17.shtmhttp://www.viahardware.com/kt3ultra_1.shtmHope it all has been interesting reading for u all.Will :D

What your saying is well and good for someone that knows how to overclock safely. BUT for the average joe who goes down to the local computer store to have a stock computer built, you don't want to have something like the memory voltage that high. What if the person later on decides to upgrade to some cheap generic ram, (or has generic in the first place)how long do you think it could last under that much stress? 1 week, 1 month, a year maybe. My caution was not for the experienced builder but someone who just wants to build and run a reliable stock computer, with no overclocking. For Asus to send out a board with that situation is not very good. statistically It compromises reliability in the long run. As a electronics engineer I would not design something that way, and would not expect to buy something with that kind of oversight. There are obvious reasons for having specifications in the first place. Memory with out a heat spreader is at risk of early failure from heat or breakdown of the silicon from overvoltage, if it isn't designed with high performance in mind.My 2 pennies worth.....Scott

Guest PaulL01

I had nothing bad to say with regard to your post Scott, so please try not to take it that way. :)But I do have to say that there are not many boards that come out that all follow the specs exactly as "specified" for AGP/PCI/Memory/CPU Clock speed and even voltage, as I said a slight overvolt is nothing to be alarmed about nor will it cause "long term" or short term damage as we are talking a mere increase of +/-4% at there default settings. The fact that it will/is bringing more stability to the operation of the memory certainly outweighs the very slight increase in temps. As far as reliability goes, you wont find a failure in any memory module no matter how old because of a 4% or more increase in voltage, in a normal operating environment real risk will start to occur somewhere above 15-20% overvolt without proper cooling.Secondly, do you really think Assus would put out that board in its already second revision if it were a "real" issue? I don

Hey no problem here hopefully you don't mind some friendly discussion. A few last points then off my soap. Just so you know if you don't already. When you increase the voltage by 4% for example, that your increasing power consumption by 16%, this is due to the fact that power is increased by the square of the increase in voltage. It's the power that sometimes can get ya, not just the voltage. As far as releasing stuff that may have an issue I see it all the time, I am afraid. (ie. not sure if your familiar with the IBM drive fiasco, but it has lead to a class action lawsuit)Take care...Scott