Sign in to follow this  

Athlon 2100XP - What motherboard and memory?

I'm choosen my CPU, but what motherboard do u guys recommend? I'll be getting a motherboard which will take very fast DDR memory.Which motherboard and memory do u recommend with this CPU?What FPS speeds can i expect with this CPU?Current system:Atlon 750256 SDRAMWin 98 SECheersWill

Guest dek

Will, One suggestion is the ASUS A7V333 mobo with 512megs of pc2700 DDR333 CAS2 RAM (make sure its CAS2). Just awaiting for mine to arrive.Have fun, dek

I have the ASUS A7V333 mobo w/512megs pc2700. I can turn everything on along with 100% Traffic and have about 18 to 25 on the ground at JFK, depending on how many aircraft are in front of me.In the air i have normaly 30 which is where the Limit is set. I don't see the need to go any higher, I leave the extra processor cycles for other stuff in the sim as well as addons.I don't have a very good Video board though, I have a Radeon 7500, and it kinda chokes off the processor.Don't skimp on the video card after getting your stuff. Get as big of a Gforce as you can. I had this card already so I continued to use it. I'll drop a Gforce 4 in here perhaps in the fall.

The A7V333 sounds like a good choice.I love ASUS boards and that's what my AMD tbird 900 is on.I highly recommend the MSI kt7 pro2 with options for raid.It also holds up to 3 gigs of ddr mem,5 pci slots with one shared,ATA100 slot as well as 4 IDE channels,4X AGP,VIA KT 266 chipset,bios updater simliar to that of asus.It's a great board and alittle cheap than ASUS with about the same quality.This motherboard is highly recommended by AMD.If you can efford the extra money for ASUS by all means get it :).MSI recently released some new mobo that are KT333 chipsets.Bascially a upgrade of the board I have now.I would go to amd.com and see what boards are AMD certified and make a choice from there.There are alot of choices but ASUS and MSI are on the top of list i do believe :) Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Two days ago I got an ZDnet Email Review of Mainboards. They say go SOYO. I forgot the number. But best buy they say at 160. I know SOYO is a good Motherboard company. Try to find that on the ZD site.

SOYO is good....I have an ASUS A7V333 with an AMD XP2100 sitting in its socket with a monstrous copper heatsink...3/4 of an inch thick and copper cooling fins 2 inches tall...on top of that a fan that spins at 7000 RPM and pulls nearly 45CFM. Memory is Corsair 512 PC2700 CAS2...Video Card Winfast Leadtech GeForce 4 Ti4400 has a heat sink that covers the memory chips and the GPU and two fans.Great system the frame rates are unreal its truly amazing...my old P4 1.5 has been inherited by my wife and her old PIII 450 is down stairs in the kitchen on a wireless LAN.You will love it!!!!Regards from frame rate heaven!!!Tony

I'm a fan of Epox boards, but Asus make good boards too. Soyo and Abit are also good.Epox EP-8K3A/+ (KT333) is what I'd go with. I have the 8KHA+ (KT266A) myself and it's great. Right up there with the more expensive brands.For memory, go with Crucial. Excellent memory and good support/service when ordering from their website.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Cheers for info guys...... any more info will be appreciated.Roll on faster FS....................Will

Don't get me wrong. I think the AMD is the way to go: But OLD Pentium 4's sitting around in the basement. Old Pentium 1.5GB 4's? Must be the life of Riley for some folk. Ha. Congrats on what sounds like another great system. Happy flying.

I have to caution folks on the A7V333, there is a potential problem that all should be aware of. The memory voltage as set by the default setting of the jumpers is high, causing memory to possibly fail prematurely. I have one link that describes the issue, and have been looking elsewhere but I can't remember where else I saw this.http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.fil...0880#asusa7v333Whether this is a problem on all boards or just the one board they tested is unclear. If I was to get a KT333 chipset board today I would probably still go with the A7V333 being a big ASUS fan. I have had pretty good luck over many years with thier boards.Scott

Guest PaulL01

Here is a good review of the ten boards using the KT333 chipset:http://www.viahardware.com/kt333roundup_1.shtm however buying one of these new boards over a KT266a is almost pointless as running DDR333 in asynchronous mode doesn't do much at all unless you plan on overclocking as AMD has not increased the FSB speed of their CPUs making the KT333s 166/memory speed moot unless you run the memory synchronously with the cpu at 166/166 170/170 etc. and then you may have to deal with instability of the AGP/PCI bus. Thats why I picked up the Epox 8K3A as it is by far the most Stable overclocking board made, but overclocking isn't everything either. But to do this you would have to "unlock" the multiplier of your new XP by way of filling the lazer cut L1 bridges with a non conductive material like epoxy or AC glue and then connecting the L1 bridges via some highly conductive coating as found in special pens for electrical circut repair or you can use rear window defroster repair "paint" which is the way I unlocked mine.My point is unless your prepaired to O/C you can save yourself some good money and get a good deal on a KT266a board and pick up some good PC2100 c2 and you will still be running within in 1-5% of any KT333 setup running at 133/166. For more on this check out:http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/cpu_me...undup/page1.asp At this point you might consider waiting a little longer if you can as KT400, T-breds and then the 64bit Hammer will be available, right now Via is preparing the K8HTA chipset for launch in June, K8HTB and K8UMA for a July and fourth quarter. All three will include AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (of course you can put in a good USB 2.0 card for under $30 right now). but then there will be....sigh :)LaterPaul

Guest PaulL01

>I have to caution folks on the A7V333, there is a potential >problem that all should be aware of. The memory voltage as >set by the default setting of the jumpers is high, causing >memory to possibly fail prematurely. I have one link that >describes the issue, and have been looking elsewhere but I >can't remember where else >I saw this. >>http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.fil...0880#asusa7v333 >>Whether this is a problem on all boards or just the one >board they tested is unclear. >>If I was to get a KT333 chipset board today I would probably >still go with the A7V333 being a big ASUS fan. I have had >pretty good luck over many years with thier boards. >>Scott I would say that it is Mushkin that has the problem, an .10 to .30 overvolt is very common and neccassary for stability for many C2 timings to run stable at the kt333's 166 and above memory speed while under load, could be they are trying to cover their buts instead of covering their chips with a nice heatsink like the Corsair XMS as well as others.Paul

Hey Paul, excellent links, very interesting reading.Not to sure if i'm the one for overclocking the 2100XP but i will be with my Leadtek Winfast GF3 Ti 500 (which i forgot to mention b 4).From studying ur links, the mobo they tested happend to be the ASUS A7V333-R - which they say had problems during a recommended BIOS upgrade.This mobo is a different one to the ASUS A7V333. Has anyone with this board experience any problems? I personally haven't ever done a BIOS upgrade b 4, but i know someone who could help if i needed to.I think i'll be aiming to buy an ASUS A7V333, as i have no experience in O/C CPUS and i don't exactly want to risk it lol.I take it that "Cruical" and "Corsair" memory are basically as good as each other?CheersWill