Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

Fly!II mini panel?

in Fly!2k, there was a key combination that brought up a little mini-panel. Is there such a thing in Fly!II? Also, I hate to complain about Fly!II as I really do enjoy it. But, when I "scroll" my head to the starboard side of the default 172 I feel like I'm sitting on the floor. How can you fly a right hand traffic pattern when you can't see out? Is there anyway to get rid of the interior bmp's, or are there any replacement bmp's that make it a little more easy to look out?Thanks for any replies.Pieter

Hi Pieter. There are currently no replacement interior images for the 172. You can get rid of the image entirely by pressing -c. I'm pretty sure its shift. You could also try ctrl. I share your opinions on this, though. I'd would be nice to get a better view out the window when looking diagonally right or left. I'll try to keep that in mind as I work on my Lancair panel design.

Pieter,Fly! II uses a new type of mini-panel - one you create yourself. Simply Left-Shift-Click any non-CRT instrument and it will "undock" - from that point you can drag this copy of the image anywhere on the screen, combining it with any other undocked instruments.As far as views are concerned, simply change your seat height. Press the Right-Bracket key (]) once and the seat will raise one step, allowing you to see at a more "down-angle". Press it again and the angle increases. To reverse, simply move the seat down to raise your angle of view (Shift-Right-Bracket). You can assign a custom angle for each view (camera) - moving the view for the right side will not change your seat adjustment to the front, for instance. Fly! II will remember these. Allen Kriesman's Flystart also allows you to save these (and your custom views) separately for each aircraft and load those views before you start Fly!Here are some of my favorite views for flying the Cessna:

Randall Rocke

Guest spenik

So long as they arn't a big hit on the 128 res. Clean um up and load um out! Any chance you have some PC-12 perspectives I missed?

Guest Bart

All these are are the default side views cropped down a bit so the frame rates will be the same or maybe a bit better without as much panel showing. Don't fly the PC-12 much I so never did them or the Hawker, I can tho, they're not real hard to do.c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Guest spenik

I a solid 4 fps with the entire cockpit showing. I can only get better then that in the Cessna, Malibu, Kodiac, PC-12, and Hawker at the top of the instrument panel with only the compas sticking up. I still think that extraperspectives for the PC-12 and such would be very usefull!

Guest Hagar

Randall,Please tell me your secret :)I just built a new puter: P4-2.8, 800MHz(quad)FSB, GF4 and all that stuff. Good fps indeed. But howintheworld do you manage to get your textures that ultra-sharp?? :-hmmm

Hi Andrew,I'm guessing it's a combination of my card, its driver set, and the settings I'm running right now. Above all, I'd say the new (for me) nVidia drivers have made the biggest difference. Here are the settings I'm experimenting with right now:nVidia GeForec Ti 4600 - 128MBnVidia 43.45 driversDirectX 9.0aSettings:Performance - QualityAntialiasing - QuincunxAnisotropic filtering - 4xTexture sharpening - OnAs you've seen, the graphics quality is very good - it does affect performance, but not too much. I'm experimenting with several render.ini sets to balance this out, as I would really like to keep these video settings.One other thing - reducing screenshots to appropriate JPEG images for posting has alway resulted in a lot of image quality loss. I must say I'm astounded by the JPEG compression handling of the new Photoshop 7.01. I upgraded to 7.01 a couple of months ago and still have a lot to learn - they have an easy-to-use (new) "Save for Web..." mode that now allows for 2-, 3-, or 4-up comparison of image quality using different compression approaches. The images I've posted lately have been set at 70% Quality Optimized, and I must say they retain much more of the original image quality while using less memory - it really makes a difference!

Randall Rocke

Guest Javier

If you don't like a view from the cockpit you can edit the FLYHAWK.PIT file ( located at your World directory - or extract it from the POD file, edit the PBM file and place it on your World Directory ) If you decide to edit the view then I suggest you first ***BACKUP YOUR FLYHAWK.POD FILE **** then take a look at the Fly090A.PBM Fly090B.PBM and Fly090C.PBM files, this is the same view but at different resolutions. This files should be located at the ART directory and you can see them while FLY is paused and the Flyhawk is selected as the aircraft you are flying, or if you extracted the POD file using the Directory Structure.If you are not in the artistic mood then simply remove the entry that calls for the image file for the side view you want.i.e. with the Windows Notepad open the file called WorldFlyhawk.pit then edit the entry that calls for Fly090, simply remove that line and save the file. That should remove the complete cockpit view when you look at your right. ---- cockpit manager ---- ---- begin cockpit manager ---- ---- forward cockpit entry ---- frnt Flyhwk00.pnl ---- upper right cockpit entry ---- uprt Fly045 ---- right cockpit entry ---- rght*delete This--> Fly090 <---- Delete this line* ---- lower right cockpit entry ---- lwrt Fly135 ---- backward cockpit entry ---- back Fly180 ---- lower left cockpit entry ---- lwlt Fly225 ---- left cockpit entry ---- left Fly270 ---- upper left cockpit entry ---- uplt Fly315 ---- floor cockpit entry ---- floo Flyhwk01.pnl ---- end cockpit manager ---- -- End of File --Editing simple view images is a lot easier than editing Panel views ( i.e. Flyhwk01.pnl ) but that's another story.Hope this helps.Regards.Javier.

Cool. Thanks everyone.Fly!II just got a WHOLE lot better for me...:D

Guest Hagar

Randall,Sorry I could not answer you before now, I went to visit my dad in Sweden and brought my whole damn computer with me, but as usual his connection was gone. I don`t have many nice words to say about the Swedish phone companies, what an incredible mess they are!Thanks a lot for the tips, I am looking forward to experiment with your settings. Having the same drivers, card and DX version as you have, I guess I`ll get there :)

I'm getting ready to back off to 2X on AA - no matter what I've done with the render.ini I've been running into problems with TS plus heavy clouds at the listed settings. I'm trying to find what is affecting frame rates the most.

Randall Rocke

Guest Hagar

I have been using 4xAA, 8x Antisotropic filtering and no texture sharpening for a while, which gave me a good picure quality like you can see om the Engm page at my site. Now I am using your settings, with 2xAA, which indeed improved the frame rate. I`m going to renew some of the shots at my site with the new settings to see how it comes out. I`m locked to my FPD`s "native" 1024x768 resolution...I think 1280x1024 would also improve the quality. But buying a new FPD is an expensive way to go :)