Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Texture enhancer

Good news - I was beginning to wonder if there was some new element I wasn't aware of!

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall, Just an update. I felt that I was still getting too much hesitation and the picture could be sharper ... so I upgraded to an ASUS A9600XT video card and a Viewsonic monitor. WOW ! I now have scenery like I have never seen it before! The colour is now great and the hesitation while turning is no longer a problem! I do have, below about 5,000' and more so nearer the ground, a 'shimmering' effect, like heat waves. Is there any .ini setting I can change to reduce this? Also, I cannot seem to get the VFR Ocean add-on to take effect. I have tried water tiling density at 2 and 4 with no change.Many, many Kudos to you regulars at Avsim. I think Fly II is just great. Great work you guys!Brian

Brian,First of all, what is your mipLevelCount setting in the render.ini? The original TRI file has this set fairly high - at 8, I believe. This certainly "softens" the blend btwn medium and high-level textures and may reduce the "shimmering" effect.Personally, I prefer crisp textures and drop the mipLevel to lower numbers (3-4). This gives me some shimmering in some areas, but an overall sharper appearance - also, it improves performance.One other thing - the B200 has a "bug" in that when looking out the windscreen during approach, the quality of the graphics drops dramatically and there is some shimmering. I recall that someone came out with some enhancements for the default aircraft that fixed some items, including the shimmering forward view in the B200.

Randall Rocke

Whoops - almost forgot your VFR Ocean question! Brian, this works great for me - I'll quickly list the settings I use, just in case you missed something in your fly.ini setup:Under UI:SearchPodFilesFirst=0Under Graphics:animateWater=1waterTransparency=167waterTilingDensity=2These settings work well for me - varying the transparency setting will change how much the water reflects the environment. Last, but not least, you need the Art folder filled with all of the Raw and Act files for VFR Ocean.

Randall Rocke