Sign in to follow this  
Guest pilotsim7828

Where should I store taxiway files?

Wayne,You may want to visit my old Podding Taxiways tutorial: http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/constructing...s_for_taxiw.htmThe actual taxiway files must be in the data directory during the podding process or it won't work, even if they are listed in the response file.I wrote the tutorial early on, before TerraModels came out. Just ignore the example taxiways the tutorial mentions, and use your own. It would be much better to pod your taxiways into a single pod file for each airport you make, rather than having the end-user place 2-3 files in the data directory for each airport they download.If the end-user understands how to place 3 files in the data folder, they can place 1 file in the taxiways folder. Using utilities such as PodCreator, it's a lot easier to pod anything these days in comparison to my old manual methods. Allen's great TerraModels' internal response file and pod-creation programs work well also.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

OK I finally got the taxiways into a POD and have uploaded two airports using that method.Bob (Goody) Goodacre tested them for me and found that a taxiway has moved. I believe that Steve said this would happen. Not all airports, but there have been two so far that I have seen.If this continues to happen we can either live with it or I can go back to placing three files in the Data folder. Your choice.

Wayne,No taxiway set that I've podded (in its own pod for the taxiway folder) has ever moved. It must have something to do with TM.Why don't you continue like you have been for a while. I've got a number of your great sceneries, including a number of your taxiway files. They've been building up again in my data folder and need to be podded. I'll pod them all in the coming week, then test each airport installation to see if anything shifts.Again, this may just be a problem with including them in the airport pod.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Thanks for the reply Randall. The problem only occurs with a few of the airports and with those I will upload the three files instead of just one.It will be my choice and hopefully it will not confuse those downloading the scenery.

Guest Eagle

I am going to continue including the three taxiway files with the airports.I will write a tutorial for those of you who want to POD the taxiways and get them out of your DATA folder.

Wayne,An FYI - when podding taxiways you only do two files (or for that matter, only two file are needed for the data folder, also). Only the TMS and BGR files are needed for a taxiway - you may note that all of the taxiway pods only have these files in them. When I download scenery that includes taxiways that haven't been podded, I only put those two files in my data folder until I can pod them.The TXP file contains all the editing info from the taxiway program for that taxiway set. The good thing about including it (most people don't) is it allows people to edit or make additions to your taxiways - without it, they would have to start from scratch or do no editing. You may want to include info on this so people don't needlessly place these files in the data folders (or pod them up, for that matter). A note that tells persons they can use this file if they want to edit the taxiways will probably be helpful. :-)Thanks again for all your work!

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Thanks Randall, I did not realize that the .txp file was not needed. As you know I have been including all three. It doesn't take that much more room to include the .txp and maybe someone will want to change a taxiway.I will include your explanation in the tutorial.

That's great Wayne - there have been a number of occasions where someone needed to make a slight change or addition, but because the original scenery or taxiway creator never included the TXP file, we couldn't edit it. I haven't felt the need to edit any of your creations, but I've saved all of your TXP files - just in case.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Wayne, Steve, Randall; That`s IT ,I have had enough with this taxiway files, As I was about to work on taxiways for my new project then reading this LOOOONNNNGGGG Post, I have decided to give up on this.Yes I know the scenery will not look very good, But this is Too much for someone who has never taken on the program,I have read the Readme file in the taxiways foler & just doesnt work for me ,Hopefully someone else can take on the project for me!Jeff Akins

Guest pilotsim7828

To the three people I mentioned above ;Please forgive me ...I know not what I do, After posting this last message.I tried the editor agian, And to my surprise, Look what happened.I really dont know exactly how I did it either OPPsJeff The only problem is that, The end of the runway has a very small entry, How do i fix this? REDO IT>. Now I`am Excited, Just let me know how to edit them to get them to allign with the R/W.

Guest Steve Brown

Hi Jeff :-wave I just caught your post!Im glad you got it, I was just about to send an email and ask if you wanted me to do the taxiways for you.Your problem at the end of the taxiway, I get quite a lot in some areas.Im having this problem now with Gatwick.No matter what I do, when adding the taxiway I get a big yellow streak across the whole of my work.In the end Im just adding a ground marking in the shape of a wedge or triangle see the pics.If anyone knows how to get wrid of these problems please let me know:-) Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Eagle

Jeff you are forgiven. I find in some of the emails I receive that the person failed to read the instructions and that is why they have problems.If you had indicated you were having problems I am sure someone would have come forward with help.In looking at your pictures it would appear that you have not set the taxiway width. In the taxiway program menu click on "Tools" and the bottom choice is "Taxiway Width". Click that and you can set the width for your taxiway. That width will remain until you change it.Also you may want to turn on Vertices by clicking on the "View" menu. You can use the vertices to tie your taxiways into the runway.Steve, I am not sure what problem you are having. I see the wedge at the end of the runway which I assume that you have placed and is not part of the taxiway program.When you tie into the runway using the taxiway program you can right click the mouse and a menu will appear provided several choices. You may want to check "runway centerline" and see if that takes care of the problem you are having.Hope this helps, if not let us know.

Guest pilotsim7828

Hi all:-jumpy I have deleted the files needed to work with the taxiways, And redone the new files. It looks A little better than the first, But just not satisfied, YET.Somethings just wont line up , But for the most part this program is getting EASIER & easier to use and I love it.!Thanks to all of you who do such a great job of getting us all the help we need!!!:-outta P.S. How would I get a road that Terrascene made , Out of the polygon made on the taxiway ?

Guest Eagle

Please explain further what you mean. Perhaps a picture would help.