Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

How do we update metar automatically?

Guest tonyc

I am beta testing a program that will automatically update metar files and save them in the metar folder in FLY2. So this file, at least, will update weather automatically every 10 minutes. The question is how do we get FLY2 to automatically scan the updated file. Ideally, we need a small dll to look at the aiport that fly2 happens to be near and read the updated metar file. A routine that loads the entire file will pause FLY2 too long. How about it? David S., where are you?tony

Guest DSandberg

I'm still checking the forum just about every day.I don't have the SDK documentation on my hard drive at the moment and don't currently have time to spend on digging it up, so my memory could be a bit fuzzy, but my recollection is that there is a LoadMetar function in the SDK which imports a full set of METARs from a file and replaces all of the existing weather. But I don't think there is a function to scan a single METAR station report. Since you apparently want or need to do it that way, you'll probably need to set the weather information manually for the airport in question using the appropriate function call and weather structure (I don't recall the name of it at the moment), which means your utility would need to be able to decode the METAR by itself rather than relying upon Fly to do it.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest tonyc

I am glad to see that you're still with us, David. Yes, I think we need to have a utility that 1. identifies the plane's location and 2. retrieves the updated weather for that particular airport. 3. And do it automatically without pausing the program as a full loadMetar task would do. tony