Sign in to follow this  
akriesman

Terramodels - Microsoft has changed URL

To those using Terramodels (especially Wayne Roberts).....Microsoft has changed the URL for the Terraservice site (to obtain the USGS images). Ideally, this link should probably have been put in a local INI file, instead of hardcoded into the app :)Unfortunately, Terramodels will no longer be able to obtain the USGS images without a patch.At this time, I do not have Fly II installed on my system (more on this later). Therefore, I will probably need to rely on some of the heavy users to test the EXE for me when I make the change. Wayne, since you seem to be the main developer for airport sceneries, I will get you a copy ASAP if you will leave me your email addressI will get back on this issue as soon as I can. For me, this matter extends beyond Terrmodels.Thanks,Allen Kriesman

Guest Eagle

Thanks Allen, I was wondering why I wasn't getting anything. Have been trying for several days. Is there a way I can input the url directly, if not I will wait for your fix.My email is wayne@goses.org

Guys,Here is the Terramodels patch for the Terraserver change.www.avsim.com/terramodels/tsgrab.exeJust replace your current TSGRAB.EXE with the one above, and you shoud be ready to go.It seems to work just fine. However, the Terraserver performance might be reduced until Microsoft switches to their new data center.If the new patch works, I will upload it to the Avsim library later on. Since there are really only a handful of Terramodels users, I am not too worried about bandwidth issues for Avsim :)Thanks,Allen

Guest Steve Brown

Hi Allen!I was talking about this with Randall not so long ago, what will the cityscape option be?Or should I say will you have time to do it?Also I have repainted some of the wonderful textures in TM2.2 with your permision, would I be able to share these out with the community? I have already added them into some of my UK scenery, and have prepared them in a folder for easy addition into TM2.2Thankyou once againSteve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Steve,First of all, by all means feel free to release your texture set. I was hoping that we would eventually see enhanced textures for TM.The CityScape option allowed me to quickly create cities, using a default set of criteria. You could quickly create cities, similar to planting trees in the current Terramodels. You would switch the "paintbrush" to a different building type (i.e. commercial, residential, hirise, etc) and plant the buildings using the mouse. The building details would be randomized. I wanted to be able to create downtown areas for smaller towns, without actually taking the time to accurately size and place each building. The results were very similar to what you see in the FS2002 Autogen, only a bit more accurate.The tests worked out OK, but I did not have the desire to further the enhancement at that time.Now, as far as the future of TM goes......Over the last year I have been working on a very large project for FS2002/FS2004. The project builds on the Terramodels philosophy, but will not be released as a scenery editor per se. I am keeping a low profile right now regarding the actual product release, but have spent just about every bit of my free time on it for the last 6 or 9 months. Right now, I have kind of taken a break from the Fly series. When Rich became seriously ill, I think it kind of took a lot out of the beta team and the Fly! community as well. On the other hand, I am amazed to see the work that is still going on for Fly!. Hopefully, Brendon (TRI) will find a way to allow work to continue on the Fly! series. From a developers standpoint, the platform is really something special. I look forward to returning to it in the future (with a whole lot of new ideas).In the meantime, I will continue to check into the forum. If small changes are needed to TM, I will do what I can to support them.Cheers,Allen Kriesman

Guest Steve Brown

Allen you are a Gentleman!Thankyou very much for allowing my "addon" I have a few things to finish up on it and I will upload it to Avsim.Im sure I speak for all of us here in the Fly!II forum, you have given us a wonderful tool to work with, (Im learning something new every time I use it) and wish you all the best in your present work. Keep those new ideas coming, all the best!Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Bart

IF you want send me the test too, I recently lost my whole system and need to start from scratch on all the Ohio airports I was working on. Part that really bites is I lost almost everything I've built and was building for Fly, planes, panels, gauges, gauge faces, needles, whole kittn-ka-bottle. Was real close to haviong a first build on our project Jean :(c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

I've been using GlobeXplorer through maps.com to get aerial photographs. It's tedious as you have to right-click, save image and then paste them all together. It has newer images than terraserver, and they are more detailed. If you go to GlobeXplorer's website you can't right-click the image, but you can on maps.com at: http://www.maps.com/explore/viewer.htmlnick

Guest Eagle

Thanks for the new "grabber", Allen, it works great. Is it set for TerraServer-USA.com and will it be necessary to change after the system has been re-constructed by Microsoft?

Based on what I have read, I do not think that they are going to change the Terraserver URL again when the new servers are brought online. If they do, I will patch TM again.Initially, I wish that I would have put the URL in the SOFTLANG.INI file used by TM. I really did not expect Micro$oft to change it within the lifespan of Terramodels.Allen