Sign in to follow this  
Guest spenik

Where will FLY2 be a year from now?

Guest tonyc

These days it seems that fewer and fewer loyal fans appear in this forum. I know that many others regularily visit it but do not leave any traces. So, how does one measure FLY2 these days? Is it the number of new files, or the new questions in this forum. Will the slowly dimishing number of new forum participants become a self fullfilling prophecy?I don't know why I feel excited when I load up FLY2 for my flying, but don't get that same feeling when I fly msfs2002. It's not a criticism of ms; maybe I am simply old fashioned. Do I wish that FLY scenery were more compatible with ms? sure, I am flying some bush flying in Alaska these days and, clearly, ms simply does it better in that respect. How I would love to get ALaska and its airports to look more interesting. The mountains are great, the atmospheric effects are just as great, but things get a little boring as soon as we get close to the airports. The weather...I can't wait until David Sandberg gives us weather that updates regularily while FLYing. I've been test x-metar for x-plane and the author kindly has added an option to create FLY ready metar files. These will be updated regularily. the problem now is to have FLY read the those aiports for which the weather has changed without pausing--as it does whenever one loads metar in its entirety.From my signature, everyone knows that I am a regular Fly'er and where I stand, so please I don't want anyone to start a thread that is not balanced and mature.tony

Hi Tony,We are still a lot of fan here AVSIM, SIMVOL. I feel confident because we are a group with a lot of projects (but few time to realise them!). We still pushing new scenaries, new ideas ... and new aircrafts. Until we'll keep this interest in development we still have a living sim. These are my 2c.Laurent

Guest Steve Brown

Im more than happy with Fly!III went for a whole year before I found Avsim and its vast treasures.The thing that really is good about the flightsim though is our forum, some of us have learned things we never thought we would. Only a year or so ago, I never would have thought I would have made scenery and done repaints... but I did... only with the kind help and assistance of you guys here. Whats down the road for Fly!II or Fly!III I dont know, but I will always have fly!II on my computer.And always pop in here for a nice chat and a cup of tea :-) Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Hi, Tony and everyone.We are a group of pilots /CFIs that use FLYI and FLYII for many reasons, one being the realistic VFR view that can be achieved by using Terrascene. If we go on familiarization flights to High altitude airports, Big Bear (L35) or go to Catalina (AVX) we present the scenery in the sim first, get the general feel / look then we take them on a real flight. About 95 % of the students /pilots will recognize the critical views positions. I can use Flyscripts! to track a flight in the sim that you can demonstrate the timing of gear, flaps, power reduction etc. I find FLY to be the most flexible and easy to use in Airport / Scenery generation, the best forward, out of cockpit view and with all the available tools / programming capabilities the most efficient. A pilot can generate a very close to

Guest The Gaijin

Tony,I noticed the same thing. Probably the reason why they're not there as they used to be is, as it is in my case, we're too busy flying and enjoy all those great add-ons rather than talking about the sim. ;-)Cheers,

Guest tonyc

Steve, you've done great work in scenery. tony

Guest rene_35

Hi every body,point of view from France:we are providing for our country what some of you expect for their countries: to cover all France with realistic textures, good altitudes, all airports, all rivers, roads...It's a very very long work.As you know, we are creating aircrafts, tools also (in few weeks you will fligh with the Staggerwing).The real problems to extend the Fly! II's number of users are, in my mind:- it's impossible today to buy it anywhere (I've tried to ask to TRI and Take2: no answer!). That is the main point, because on our forum we have frequent demands (for PC and Mac), and we don't want to give copy.- and for people who have got an original Fly!II it's difficult to create a "correct" version (great number of patches, great number of add'ons, great number of tools, no automatic install method, no integrated system with the best of adds)Then, if someone knows how to obtain Fly! II CD (or to obtain the agreement to copy them), and if someone can realise a very easy install tool, we 'll have chance to be more and more.

G'day Tony and all, I personally haven't been posting anywhere near as much as I have previously, but that doesn't make me any less of a "loyal fan". I am in the process of redoing Sydney and surrounds using only shapefiles so that I can upload a terrascene project to the library. I still use Fly! II exclusively. Why are you so concerned about the number of people who use Fly! II. I use Fly! II because it gives me what I want from a flight sim, not because of what other people think of it. A year from now I will still have fly! II loaded and in use; maybe even Fly! III :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

True, very true, Danny! But in some cases such as mine - one is hunting for a new job while fixing one's house for selling as well!!But Fly!II remains tops on my computer.TV - I was working on Montana, and can move south to Colorado if you want. Basic TS scenery generations... But since one can only get two to three zipped globetiles to a CD in most cases, (My Maine takes four CDs!) - it would remain the best resource for distributing. Could always try Randall's TSProject idea :-) Thanks Randall, and everyone else who contributes in their own ways to the Fly! series.Tony - the answer is - "Alive and Kicking on our computers" :-)Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest DSandberg

> I can't wait until David Sandberg gives us weather that> updates regularily while FLYing.Just to be clear, I have not promised any such utility. Having said that, it's something I could see myself doing at some point, but with the things going on in my life these days I'm not sure when or if I'll ever get to it. (It's been over six months since I've fired up ANY flight simulator! It's really not a part of my life anymore, except for my monitoring of this forum for InfoMETAR-related queries.)David Sandberg

Guest Roy

>- it's impossible today to buy it anywhereGood news :-) (or, at least I think it is)Yesterday I looked in at http://www.jcssoftware.com/ and they still lists Fly! II ($ 16.95), so it might be worth a try. :-)Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Now that I finally got Fly!II working well on my computer (thank you avsim and Mr. Salter :)) I'll be using it regularly. I have what I feel is a very nice FS2k2 set up on my computer also and while the outside view is fancier (more eye candy) I will use Fly for any real world flight I want to re-create. I want to work on making terrascene sceneries for the entire US West Coast (basically from Colorado and Texas to the coast) but that will take time... when I do get it done (years?) I'll try to share. If I get access to a panel program I'll put an FMS and EFIS displays in to the King Air as in the real life present version. I keep waiting for the TBM700 Win 2k/XP fix. The aircraft I grew up flying in (Navajo Chieftan) and the aircraft I have most recently flown (TBM700 and Pilatus PC12) are represented very well in this sim and ONLY this sim. I also find that I like the flavor of this forum much better than the smart-#### arrogance occurring in other forums. So freeware developers, keep up the good work cause I know I'm sticking around.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Bart

If I get access to a panel program...all you need is a paint program...Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and wordpad for editing the system files.Drop me an email when you get a chancec ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg