Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Fly!2 Unexplicably Quits to Desktop - Cannot figure it out

I'll try this, but may post the relevant error for your counsel. NOTE: I'm leaving for a week of vacation so I won't get to this until July 7 most likely (I will be home for a day in the middle, but don't expect to have time to track this down).The unsigned-driver concept gets me, though, since as far as I know, the recent NVidia drivers are not WHQL certified. Is that what you are referring to?-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Dave, a digitally signed driver goes another step beyond WHQL, since the signature confirms the driver hasn't been tampered with by a virus or Trojan horse program. It also undergone the extensive compatibility testing as WHQL drivers. You would have seen a message during installation that the driver has not passed the Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. The non-WHQL video driver could be your problem. Go ahead and post the stop code error and I'll look to see if I have an explanation for it.

Can you tell me where to find the error file that would contain the STOP error code? Directory? Or within an application?I'll look it up Wednesday morning between trips out of town and post it.-DK

Dave, you can access the Event Viewer under Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools. In Event Viewer click on the System log. You will see a scrolling list of files of the system log. Almost of them will be Information files. In one of the right hand columns under the heading Source, you'll see that one of these information files has the label Save Dump. That's it. It should match a date you crashed. Double click it. A box will open with a window in which there is a description. Here the error code comes after the statement : The bugcheck was:The above is for XP Professional. I don't know whether the above will match the XP Home version, since I don't have it.Good luck.

I'm going to reset the position of this window by replying to my original message. See next post....-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Here is one event log dump for recent "CTD's" from Windows XP that shows TRIDK8tl.dll to be at possible fault. However, I could not locate other log entries that I was certain were from Fly!2. I will keep track now that I know where this event logger is.Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: Application ErrorEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 1000Date: 6/19/2003Time: 17:05:12User: N/AComputer: DGZH8Y01Description:Faulting application fly2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module tridx8tl.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00001029.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 6c 79 ure fly0018: 32 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e 2.exe 0.0020: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in0028: 20 74 72 69 64 78 38 74 tridx8t0030: 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 30 2e l.dll 0.0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset 0048: 30 30 30 30 31 30 32 39 000010290050: 0d 0a .. I do want to note that when I recently flew using DX8 without T&L (using TRIDX8.dll), I also had the CTD.Again, I will track next time I loose the application and copy in the log file.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hello David,As you have read I have been having the same IRRITATING CTD's. I recently started messing with the render file and so far (today) have not experienced another (had two before messing with the file). I am using an Athlon XP2000 on a K7S5A motherboard, 512 megs DDR2100, Asus Nvidia GF4 Ti4200 128 meg with the latest Omega drivers. If my luck holds out and the next few days of flight are trouble free I will post the render file.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

David, I don't see the stop error code. I am not familiar with XP Home, but if you have three logs, an application log, security log, and system log, choose the system log. Also, the event source should be Save Dump rather than Application Error. At least this is the case in XP Pro. There is an alternative. If you get a BSOD in the next crash, you might notice a symbolic error name displayed at the top of the screen. That symbolic error could be very useful, since I have explanations for some of those, and under Technical information (further down the screen), you should see the STOP: which is followed by the stop error code. I will display a screen shot of where I look for stop errors. I hope it is legible. Of course, I can be wrong, because I knew nothing about XP two months ago.

Bad news. Whatever is crashing Fly!2 is not being detected by the Event Logger. I just flew the B757 (PMDG) from KPHN on a flight plan to KBOS. I was passing 15K feet and changed to an outside view. I have to guess I was somewhere around Danbury CT. Boom.CTD.I just checked the log and there is no trace of any activity in any of the three logs. Nothing, nada, zilch, niente. This is the MOST frustrating thing I can think of.-DKPlease note that I am leaving for part II of my vacation tomorrow afternoon and may not be able to get back on line until early next week. Keep thinking. I'm hopeful there will be a surprise upon my return.----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David, sorry to hear the logs were of no help. I guess you didn't get a blue screen with a message either, another possibility I mentioned above. From what you said earlier, you crash to the desktop, whereas in my case, I would completely lockup in a blank blue screen with no message, and there was no choice but to completely power off the system (unless I specified an option to reboot automatically, bypassing the blue screen). In your situation, I would probably roll back the video driver to the last version or even consider going back to a previous restore point when the configuration was reliable. I would exercise caution if doing the latter. Good luck.

I may need to roll back the NVidia drivers. I'm thinking I'll try to use the last WHQL certified version.FYI: I just took a quick flight in the P-51. No more than 5 minutes off the ground and CTD. No nothing.I'm ready to throw in the towel.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I sure hated to uninstall my AVB FFB joystick driver and going back to the Sidewinder stick. On the other hand, I haven't crashed ever since, and its been just over two weeks now. I can now really appreciate that.

Just a thought. Any possibility this problem is coming from small spikes in A/C power to my computer? I am running my PC off a six-outlet power-strip which should protect against power spikes. But I don't have a UPS. I am barking up a possible tree, or just reaching for air?-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David,I was running on a UPS when I got the ctd's so I don't think that's the problem. Second day with the render settings and no ctd's. I have included my settings below... I think you're running a 128 meg card, even if you're running a 256, try these and see if it continues. I'll report back if I get another ctd.[Graphics]mipLevelCount=7vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=32maxTextures32_565=25maxTextures64=64maxTextures64_565=64maxTextures128=192maxTextures128_565=128maxTextures256=192maxTextures256_565=64maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=2mipMapFlag=896[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0Hope this helps.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tonyc

I have just switched from a g3ti200 128 meg to a fx5600 256 meg, thinking that the additional memory would help my fps in the clouds. Interestengly, this card appears slower than my g3ti200 and my tweaking of the render.ini is causing FLY2 to crash----I even got a blue screen, whihc is a first. If I have to attribute my crashes, I can only blame my new video card, its settings, nvidia drivers and who knows, what else...... So, it's just possible that FLY2 crashes result from a unique, yet unexplainable, combination of video realted functions. tony