Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

X-Metar

Guest marcao

Hi guysOn Avsim file ibrary there's a program called X-Metar, that serves X-Plane and Fly!Has anyone tried it out?Regards, :-beerchugMarco Antonio SilvaBrazil

Guest tonyc

x-metar is a fantastic program to automatically download and update weather for FLY2. The problem is that now FLY2 does not have an automatic way to load metar files. I am going to look at it to see if I can create a python module to do this automatically with autoweather.tony

Excellent Tony..........that would be a great addition to FLY!Would we be able to use this on the MAC Platform as well??Good Luck anyway.regards John

Guest tonyc

I am not sure. As I look deeper into the issue, I will let you know. Hopefully, someone else might want to step in this topic.tony

Guest marcao

>The problem is that now FLY2 does not>have an automatic way to load metar files.Thanks Tony!I know FlyII can do automated update of metar using the multiplayer, but I supose this is hard-coded, so I think there's no possibility of, lets say, to redirect the reading of the internet to a .txt file. Is it possible?Excuse my poor english.Regards, :-beerchugMarco Antonio SilvaBrazil

Guest tonyc

Marco, if FLY tries to loas the entire metar file, it will pause too long. The nice thing about x-metar is that it will compare the current with the old file and change only the file that has the changes. This is the file that FLY2 would then need to load, which is probably short. I don't know about the multiplayer. Writing a few lines of code to load the x-metar updated metar file should not be too hard.tony

Guest andrewluck

Tony>>The nice thing about x-metar is that it will compare the current with the old file and change only the file that has the changes.I had a look through the documentation and couldn't find any reference to this. I suspect as well that it wouldn't result in the small file size required. Most METAR sites wil have at least one aspect of their weather change between cycles and this would result in them having to appear in the difference file.If we can get Lat/Long out of Fly! in a similar format to X-Plane then we sould be able to use the Station request feature. I e-mailed Odo for this information.I then looked at using Python to do this but the communication is via a UDP port & my installation of Fly! is missing the socket module that's required to make this stuff work. This is surprising, because quite a few of the modules that are supplied need it to work. If anyone knows how to get this working then let me know.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest tonyc

Andrew, if you run x-metar, it will create 3 files: old, current and final. If you look at the final file, that's the fine that appears smaller. tony

Hi guys,X-Metar 0.9.2 supports the two-line METAR-Format that Fly! will understand. X-Metar 0.9.1 doesn't.X-Metar 0.9.2 doesn't generate the files current.rwx and old.rwx any longer. Only the resulting metar.rwx (or however you name it) will be created.metar.rwx consists of METAR Data which can be created in different ways:1) Get the whole world from noaa-cycle (the two newest cycle files will give you the best world-wide up to date information) Onle one entry per station will be created in the file metar.rwx. Anyway the resulting file is quite large.2) Get history weather from cycle-files. Even one old cycle file will give you quite good worldwide METAR-information.3) Get the METAR data from some text-File in the internet and put this textfile on your harddisk as "metar.rwx". Thats just simple downloading, but the entries will be scanned and doubles will be deleted and only the newest entries per METAR-station remain in metar.rwx4) Enter some METAR-Station-names (up to 6) and only put these results in the METAR.rwx. Thats usefull for local flights and if you need a small metar.rwx-file. There will be no weather information available except that for which you enteres Station-Names in X-Metar5) Does the same like 4) but selects the stations depending on the planes actual lat/lon information. This one is only supported for X-Plane right now because I do not have Fly! and I do not know, if, and how Fly! is able to communicate with the rest of the world via UDP. X-Plane communicates on a selectable Port with a protocolo described at http://www.x-plane.info/The code which is part of X-Metar 0.9.2 is from the download-section there.Since I do not know anything about Fly! I will need your support if there can be something done in X-Metar to support lat/lon dependend METAR-Update.Questions? 1) Is there any possibility in Fly! or FlyII to periodicaly update the Weather-information from METAR-files from your hard-disk?2) Is there any communication from Fly! ord FlyII with thze rest of the world? (you were writing about Multiplayer-options) If so, how does the protocol look like? Is there any sample code in C or C++ which explains how to use the Multiplayer-information (to read lat/lon)3) Is there somebody around here, who is able to extend Fly! or FlyII if there should be no possibility to extend X-Metar with Fly! Multiplayer-Protocol-Support?Thank you for your interest in X-Metar andThanks in advance for your responsesOdo Maletzki

Guest andrewluck

Hi OdoThanks for the information.It is quite feasible to extend the Fly! code using either Python or C. I've been looking at Python, but at the moment I'm missing the TCP socket module so until that's sorted it's a non starter.There's some sample network code from ROTW in the library. Check out flynet.zip in the Fly!2 Development library here. Also flynetnavaid.zip.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest tonyc

Odo, there's no obligation, but you send me your e-mail I'll send you FLY's sdk manual.tony