Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

WOW! After 20 years I finally did it.

Guest Jan

And what did I do? I tried the multi million dollar Sikorsky S61N simulator at our training center.They had an open spot for me today.Nice to have friends working there.And what an experience! After flying the 407, and my own projects for FlyII for a long time now, it was time to see if they could be compared to the real thing,and also get experience how to tweak them for most realism.Well into the dark cockpit I tried to start engine one,but failed several times.Suddenly everything went black,and the emergency lightscame on.The battery had drained.On with external power,and both engines started OK.Standing on RWY 18 at ENZV and all systems workingI tried to pull some collective.Wow.Nose came rapidly up and at the same time yawing/rolling uncontrollable to the right.BANG.The helo was a total writeoff.Trying again not to overcorrect I got airborn,butprobably not a pleasent sight.Overtorqueing,MGT to high,warning light flashing, I wobbled away.After getting some airspeed things started to get easier.Now it was more like I was used to with FLYII.Only small corrections with the pedals and collective,mainly using the cyclic.Flew around a bit to get the feeling.And then landing.Lined up with the runway,applied 25% torque,nice sink rate,stick back to slow down.60kts,40kts, looking good.50 feet,stick more aft,collective more up.BANG.Fell straight through.Applied collective to late.Writeoff.Not easy this.But after almost 4 hours in the right seat I could take off,hover and land where ever I wanted.The instructor left me alone in there,I could stay as long as I wanted,but I was so sweat and exhausted, I had had my share for today.Also tried several autorotations.Behaved same way as in FLYII,exept when I did it from 500 feet,and no forward speed.BANG.No chance to get the rpm up.Fell like a rock.Restart again.Destroyed helos for many millions today.Very different from FLYII,but at the same time very much the same.TRI have done a great job with the helo.Maybe exept some technical stuff regarding torque and Nf readings.And that you don't fall like a rock when the rpm goes down.The rest can be tweaked and altered with, to get a very realistic helo I belive.If it wasn't for all my flight timewith FLYII I would never be able to controll the S61 that fast.And I was alone.Most things felt familiar with the flight model.A bit moresensitive in FLY,but that is a 20$ PC game.Sorry this became so long,just had to went some of the impressions.But very happy I got to try it,and that FLYII helos are still the best thing on a PC for me :)Thanks for your attention(those who bothered read it)Take care.Jan

Guest Steve Brown

You got me totally captivated!Wow, you lucky guy you. I can emagine how shattered you were. The Bell 407 rocks. I have flown many times in the Bell Jetranger, but never in the 407, but I would love time in any simulator of that quality. Im saving up for Yolk and peds for my computer, but Im planning on making a "semi-heli-simulator". We have a small area under the stairs were I may be able to make it :-) But thats in my dreams for now.Hows the helicopter coming along Jan... I want it! Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+Viewhttp://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/avsim/bart.htm

Guest Hagar

Thanks for sharing, Jan :)It`s great to hear how our sim compares to a pro sim. Not many developers have access to a pro sim like you have, I am convinced that the project will benefit greatly from your new experience!