Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Half of Full Tile Scenery not showing

Guest Paul Brooks

I have generated two tiles covering Heathrow which is on one tile and Gatwick which is on the other.The problem is that when both tiles are present in the scenery folder half of the Heathrow tile does not show, but when the Gatwick tile is removed Heathrow is there, and vice versa.I have tried putting the pod into the shared folder but it makes no difference.I have two other scenery tiles, one covering the English Lake District and the other East Midlands, both of which have the same problem.The other tiles I have made EGCC, North Wales Tees-Side, Woodvale, Leeds Bradford and Birmingham all showed more or less immediately.As I am sure you will appreciate that these tiles have involved a lot of work and it is very frustrating when I cannot get them to work with the other scenery I have made.They have all been made with Terrascene with snap to grid enabled.I would appreciate any hints, tips or guidance.Paul

Hello Paul,When you speak of adding a full tile, do you mean a full Global Tile or a 1/4 tile? I rarely have problems when working with bordering global tiles, but have experienced problems similar to yours when the tiles were smaller. Even then, adding more "padding" to the tile borders usually resolved the problem. To do this, open each SCF file in a text editor and expand the load parameters. You'll note that TerraScene automatically builds in a load parameter 1-degree larger than the coverage area - this gives you an overlap that helps Fly! "see" the next tile. Change the load lower left and load upper right entries by another degree - if you're having problems, a 2-degree loading usually does the trick.

Randall Rocke

Guest Paul Brooks

Thanks for that Randall, I am having some success with the two tiles which are full global tiles of 6006 square miles.One tile I had to re-render as when I altered the load parameters, I recieved an error message, but it appears (literally) to be alright with the new render abd the altered load parameters.Thanks again.Paul

Hello Randall,I am having a similar problem with my SW US terrascene files (interestingly OR and WA don't seem to do this), they are full tiles but will only show half the tile on some flights (especially E to W or W to E). When you change the load parameter do you change both the Lat and Long settings? Also is there a way to have Terrascene build the scenery with the two degree loading rather than the default 1? Your help and experience are very much appreciated.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane,I'm not at home right now so I can't check my notes on this - hope I get it right. When you open the SCF file you will see two points (lat/lon) for the scenery area and two points (lat/lon) for the load area - you will note that the load area is expanded by 1 degree. Simply take each point another degree to bring the overlap to 2 degrees.By studying the difference between the two sets of parameters before you edit, you will see how Todd adjusted them to add that degree. Using the same approach, simply change the load set by another degree in the same manner.There are advanced options settings for slicing - there are also a number of configuration files that Todd fully describes in the tutorial. He warns that changing any of the config settings may cause TerraScene not to function. You might want to look through these and see if any of them control the load parameters or overlap - you might be able to change them and have them operational before rendering. I have yet to ever need to change those settings or redo a tile because of this issue - I am aware of them due to what others have posted when they ran into difficulty.BTW, as you are working on the SW...I am currently finishing up a global tile for Phoenix, AZ - this has been a big project for me and has really taken a lot of time. Its project packs will be uploaded in a couple of days and will include a reconfigured texture pack and two optional image repair kits. After that I will make an adjoining tile that takes people into Sedona - that will require a custom texture pack, so I will need to talk to Todd about possible copyright issues before I can release it.

Randall Rocke

Guest Hagar

Paul,With the bad data I have, I always make quarter tiles. At ENZV, I first made two separate quarter tiles to cover the airport. These two tiles belonged to two different globe tiles, and only one showed up.So I rendered both quarter tiles in one TS rendering, and that solved my problem. Just wanted to mention it...Except from this, I think Randall`s tip with overlapping is the way to go...thanks Randall :)

Thanks Randall,I will look forward to the Phoenix globe project packs, looking out the window at a green covered scenery is not quite right when flying down there. I call it the Garden of Eden effect! Up here in Oregon and Washington it looks fine though.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I flew lastnight from KSDL (Scottsdale, AZ) to KMOD (Modesto, CA) without a single glitch. The entire flight was blanketed with the Terrascene tiles I generated. It's a flight I made with my father back in 1975.Thanks again Randall for the advice... it worked like a charm.Zane :)

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

You're welcome, Zane!Here are a couple of shots of the new scenery with a recompiled texture pack. It's not everything I'd like it to be, but it's a lot better than the default.Over Scottsdale area - looking to the NE:

South of the city of Phoenix:

Randall Rocke