Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Scenery tiles

Guest richpress

I have uploaded an image showing the Auckland Internationl airport(nzaa)This is the default scenery in the scenery editor of a backup copy of Fly 2. As you can see part of the runway extends into water.This is actually correct because that part of the runway is built on a causeway. The problem is however if you taxi to the end of the runway you will crash into water well before the end. I have corrected this to some extent by realigning the runway on to what appears to be land.If you taxi to the end of the runway now a crash occurs just before the end. This also happens on part of the taxiway and ramp.This is all a bit long winded but my question is, what makes some water tiles solid and some land tiles water? Make sense? Any ideas?

Guest Colins2

Richpress (Rich??)There are several things here.1) Is the image you have uploaded the original, or the re-aligned?You probably don't need to re-aligh the runway, it's more likely to be the cosatline that is at fault. Occasionally, a runway needs 'adjusting' but not very often.Editing the coastline is possible with TerraShape and a cheap (or free) cad program.2) Every ground tile in the Fly! world is given a property. Either it is land, with a pre-defined texture applied, or it is water. I would guess that your runway extends into the water.The runways are drawn on top of the ground textures and will always show. They should also be 'hard' whereas a slight deviation from the runway will put you in the water. Taxiways are not the same. If they are in a 'water' tile, you will sink!If you have a recent arial shot of the airport, or an airport plate, you should be able to see the real coastline. I guess that if they have buit a causeway for the runway, it will show on there.To adjust the ground tile properties you need Ground Tile Transform by Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold. It's in the library here.TerraShape has some documentation about coastline files and how to fix them. It's also the only program (that I know of) that will read / write the coastline files.TerraShape is on my site.Hope this helpsColinMy Hangar Site

Guest richpress

Many thanks Colin for your detailed response. I have downloaded your Terrashape files and are in the process of reading these. I have been using Ground Tile Transformer for some time clearing up obvious tile errors but have drawn a blank trying to correct the Auckland runway. The image is the original default runway.I have uploaded another image showing approx where the aircraft sinks on the runway and details of the tiles in the critical areas which as you can see bear no resemblance to water tiles.I have tried importing new tiles with no effect. A curious problem.

G'day Rich,Mate your problem has been a pain for many Fly! II users for a long time.I can really reccommend Terrashape as with it ( and terrascene and ground transformer) I have managed to convert Sydney from a totally unuseable airport to a fully functioning airport. Sydney ( YSSY ) would have to be THE worst default airport in Fly! II bar none.Give it a try! You wont be disappointed. :-)CheersRoger @YSSY

Guest chezz

Roger,What airplane (excellent graphics) and when will the scenery available in the Avsim library.chris

Guest richpress

Thanks Roger.I am doing the Terrashape manual example now to check it out.

G'day Chris,What aircraft? Hughes Air West DC-9 (in the library for nearly a year.) Its really the interior shot (by digital camera) of a Qantas B717 but what the heck; DC-9 , MD-80 , B717 ...all the same thing really with just a few changes along the way.I am making this scenery by using Turbocad/Terrashape to make shapefiles and am currently up to 93,000 vertices. I'll probably stop at about 100,000 but there is ALWAYS something that's been omitted popping up but a line has to be drawn somewhere. I anticipate releasing a project package that the end user can download and render themselves using Terrascene, along the same lines as Randall's packages for some American states.To be honest I would like to make models for the scenery, but that will take forever as I have absolutely no modelling experience. This project is a sort of ongoing exercise in the use of terrashape.In the meantime, I have got an earlier version that I did using Photoshop to paint the TGA file, but it is quite a large package so I can't upload to the library, but if you would like to have a fully functional Sydney then send me an address and I'll mail you a CD. You may have to download Danny Vickers Australian airports/taxiways files from the library.cheers,Roger @YSSY