Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

Lighthousen error probably due to flightplanner

I have had great trouble with an unknown model extension error for lighthousen when trying to fly from B'Ham (EGBB) to M'cr (EGCC) with crashes to desktop about one third the way into the flight.I sequentially deleted the airport scenery and still had the problem.When I tried to fly the journey without using the Fly flightplanner the system did not crash.I am using Paul Brooks's excellent photorealistic scenery and Steve Brown's airports.Has anyone had similar problems?Can anyone explain it?:-beerchug

I had a similar problem. I edited "contrl+E" the lighthouse in the Chicago Meigs airport and I couldn't open again. I erased all de lighthouse files of my Fly!2 but still the problem exists; so this is a serious problem that I don't know how to fix.

Guest Steve Brown

This has to do with the night textures of the lighthouse.But why these errors I have no idea.Im going to be working on the problem shortly.Andrew "Hagar" told me something a while back about the names for files can be to long and may cause problems. Anyway, if you have any tips Andrew on how this can be fixed please let me know! Would re naming the lighthouse and adding it to the scenery pod "fix" these errors for good?If you could post here, or send me an email to: ysomdesign@brown8506.freeserve.co.uk Cheers Mate :-) Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+Viewhttp://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/avsim/bart.htm

Guest Hagar

Hi Steve,We have discussed this before :-hahI think you should follow my tips based on this experience:When I did the ENCN scenery a long time ago I used Vin`s Lighthouse for the first time. Before that I had discovered that having model names longer than 8 letters could give problems when podding manually.After podding, model names with more than 8 letters got corrupted in the Scenery.Sxx files and crashed Fly2. The corrupted files looked like this: Lightho

Guest nycflyer

I had extensive issues with the lighthouse model when doing NY sceneries. Vin and I corresponded quite a bit way back when and here's what happens.After you've placed the lighthouse, any subsequent saves from the FlyII scenery editor corrupt the night lighthouse model name in the scenery.Sxx file. Perhaps it is a function of the length of the filename. There is no fix if you create a pod with the scenery.sXX file corrupted, aside from unpodding, editing the scenery.sXX file and repodding. The safest thing to do when creating scenery, in my experience, has been to remove all your scenery.sXX files temporarily, add the lighthouse model, save and quit FlyII. Then open the scenery.sXX file that was just created by adding the lighthouse, check that the filename for the lighthousen.smf is intact, fix it if necessary, then lock the text file. Maybe rename it to lighthouse.sXX,Put your other scenery.sXX files back and keep working normally, That way, when you continue to add models and save from the FlyII editor, it won't corrupt the lighthouse entry.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Andrew,in my case it was always the word lighthousen (11 letters) that came up as the unknown model extension. Lighthouse has 10 letters and comes before the entry in the Scenery YA SO1 file for lighthousen. If the problem was simply because of the numbers of letters would it not fail to find lighthouse rather than lighthousen.Do others get the lighthousen message or do you get a lighthouse message error?Could the error simply be in Vin's file?My knowledge of computer programming language is very,very basic so I appreciate I may be incorrect.

Guest Hagar

Flyfisher,I had the same problem with the night model. It could be 11 letters giving us a problem and not 8. Only thing I remember now is I had these kind of problems with other models than the Lighthouse. Based on my experience with the ENCN scenery where I just renamed the Lighthouse to Lthouse and LthouseN and everything was fine, I`m shure it`s nothing wrong with Vin`s model.Scott,Funny to see you too have the same experience as I have. I use the same solution, I un-pod the scenery.Sxx files, fix the corrupted entry and then re-pod it manually. And if I want to adjust a model in the Fly2 editor, I have only the scenery file with that model in Fly2Data and the other files in a temporary directory. But anyway, after keeping to max.8 letters I haven`t had any corruptions lately. I posted these tips in the FAQ. Regarding "locking the text file", I guess you mean setting the file properties to read-only? I haven`t tried this yet...

Guest Steve Brown

Thankyou very much Andrew and Scott.I didnt understand this issue when Andrew first told me, it went right over my head. Im wanting to do a further update on my scenery soon so I will use your finds and fixes, tips to the full.Maybe this post could be saved by scenery developers who may need this information in the future.Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+Viewhttp://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/avsim/bart.htm

Guest Hagar

Steve,Let me hear how these tips work for you. If you`re successful, I`ll collect the new tips and post them in the FAQ as part II. If you get into trouble, post it here.Oh btw all this stuff sometimes goes over my head too :)

I could fix the crash desktop problem of the lighthouse. First you have to delete all the unziped files and also go to data and try to find the D..... file that wrote lighthouse or lighthousen automatically when you edited "Contl+E" the lighthouse. It was hard because I didn