Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Kitty Hawk TerraScene Finished (pic+)

This is where it all began! As an Ohioan, I must say it actually all began in a bicycle shop in Dayton, but I'll give you your due...they first took to the air from your shores.As this tile is actually only a half global tile in size (and contains a lot of water), it will be unnecessary to upload it as a project pack. The finished, rendered scenery zipped up to about 37 MB. Now - by itself the Kitty Hawk scenery is just a "sliver" of land plus that area of the outer banks and surrounding islands. To connect this area to the mainland, you will need to download and render the Edenton tile. To complete the whole outer banks area, I would recommend 4 tiles: Bayboro, Cape Hatteras, Edenton, & Kitty Hawk.Over Kitty Hawk and First Flight airport and monument. Looks like Wayne Roberts may need to make a second version of First Flight to sit on the TerraScenery, which of course, is accurate in positions of the coast, airport, and monument area. How about it Wayne - I'll add some underlays for the airport and mound when I return from vacation. :-)

I'm heading off on a week's vacation - will continue the Carolinas project on my return. Right now, you can fly the coastline from Brunwick & Savannah, GA through Kitty Hawk and Dare County, NC.Images below:1. Another view of Kitty Hawk, looking to the SW2. Over Nags Head (left) and Dare County area (right)

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Thanks Randall for all these sceneries, finally I was able to download everything that you have uploaded in the Avsim Library via DSL connection. chris salviejo

Guest Bart

Yeah Wayne and don't forget to add the Wal-Mart they built about a mile down the road from the monument!! :) Need some place to get the tanning oil b-4 you head out to the beach!!c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Guest Eagle

What's wrong with trees growing in the water?

Guest nycflyer

Randall,I have some real flying pictures of exactly this area.Let me know if you'd be interested in them for comparing realism.Scott

Scott,Sorry about the delay - just got back from vacation.If you would be so kind, I would love to have any images you have. When you look to the south from the TerraScened Kitty Hawk, the landscape is really accurate. When you look to the north at First Flight and the surrounding area (the first image posted) you have probably noted that the land-use details are marginal. The USGS has never posted (and maybe doesn't have) land-use data for the rest of the outer banks and much of the main shoreline areas, including First Flight. :-(Though the shorelines, highways, roads, and water areas are accurate, TerraScene was forced to fill in all land for those areas with the common background texture: "swamp-bog". That's really not a bad choice, as many of the areas are swamp and/or wetlands - but certainly not all. I'll need to add the missing details (beaches, etc.) manually with TerraShape, then rerender. I'll live with the other shore and outer banks areas as they are, but I certainly want to improve on First Flight and the immediate surroundings. That will take some work - I'll give it a go after the rest of the Carolinas project is finished, then release a new version.Please feel free to send images here:Capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke

Guest nycflyer

Randall,Hope you had a good trip!I sent you a few scans.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Wayne & Scott,Check out the image and you'll see what I've run into so far. The underlay for the airport lines up well, but the underlay for the mound (memorial area) is certainly off - looks like the USGS road and street data doesn't quite agree with the image. I created the underlays based on the TerraServer image in TerraModels.

Scott, based on your images (thanks!), I was trying to add a grass layer that had a mixture of brown, yellow and green to better simulate your pictures, but the texture came out too coarse. I'm going to make the airport underlay a finer grass texture, though it will have more green in it.Wayne, I think the best thing to do is move the "memorial monument" to the center of the circle as identified by the circle road in the TerraScenery. When I make a new version of this area in the future, I will add the grassy texture to the mound and adjoining areas as they appear in Scott's images by rerendering the TS images with the added textures. I'm also preparing a turf underlay for Dare County and possibly another area airport - I'll go ahead and upload them as a separate package.

Randall Rocke