Sign in to follow this  

Almost Done! :)

Guest ErikU

Bart,Great news! It looks terrific. I, for one, can't wait to try it!Erik

Guest ErikU

Bart,I'm hyperventilating...Will you be sharing? (Please!)WIll it work on a Mac as well?Erik

Hi Bart,How did you do the cocpit? Did you model the pilots and the rest of the interiour? Did you follow the ROTW guide for modelling?I'm modelling a new aircraft too but can't figure out what will be the best to make it look glassish.Rene S.

Guest Bart

I've always used Truspace 1.0 or 3.0 and a converter that some :) guy :) built and never released to do the model. I use Truspace and Paint Shop Pro 6.0 for the panels. The converter has a few limitations in the animation area that just have to be worked around but nothing major that keeps you from building a working model for Fly2.To make the windows "glassish" paint them true black 0,0,0 and name them glasse_1, glasse_2, doesn't really matter what you name them after the underscore but the first part of the name has to be "glasse" for Fly to make them windows.c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

G'day Bart,Very nice model! Can't wait for the finished product.>To make the windows "glassish" paint them true black 0,0,0 and>name them glasse_1, glasse_2, doesn't really matter what you>name them after the underscore but the first part of the name>has to be "glasse" for Fly to make them windows. Just for future reference;Exactly what file are you referring to.Is it the texture file for the window or are you modeling the windows separate to the aircraft as a separate file and attaching it to the aircraft?Would the same approach work if modelling with 3dsMax4? Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Bart

It's the actual window "part". In the 3d program I do a booleen cut to section out the windows from the model, similar to what Jean explains in his tutorial, then I texture them with a true black texture and name them glasse_*. When Fly see's the name glasse_* it knows that part is a window and it should be "glassish" Check in the designers forum, Truspace 3.0 is a free download now. Get it and let me know when you have it and I'll send you the Katana .scn file and you can see how I made it. I had started making a tutorial for building planes using Truspace 3.0 and the converter for Fly2 that Chris built, it's buried along with the 50,000 other things I've never been able to finish up for Fly. Guess I''ll get them done sometime if life ever slows down some :)c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Hi Bart,Sorry for being dumm, but didn't get the point about the pilots etc.1. I do the model in 3dmax5. I realised that it's not solid (which explains possibility to put onother model inside of it (pilots)).2. I've cut the glasses (last night 'till 4.00AM)and followed instructions to assign proper names and color. (I'm not very far with the project - am I?)3. SO, how did you do the pilots? Did you model them and put them inside of your plane model?4. Panel, you're refering to, do you mean panel visible from outside the aircraft (like side view etc), or the one in panel view ( I thought it's only a .tif file.P.S. The model you saw in render and in Fly, does Fly 'hide' some minor vertex 'accidents'? How difficult is to 'repair' your model if all of the files in Fly are done and you can fly the bird? Do you have to 'rework' all the files and settings?Cheers,Rene S.

Guest Bart

OK go get a cold beer and some BBQ chips...this is gonna be a long one :)I made the fuselage for the Katana as a solid piece. I made the first "bulkhead" with the spline tool in Truspace, then just swept, adjusted, swept, adjusted until I had the fuselage shaped. I only shape half of the fuselage when I build them, after i have it shaped I do a booleen subtraction and get rid of the half that isn't shaped. The half I have left I cut out the windows, cowl inlets, landing gear openings etc etc.You need another beer yet?The next step I do is glue all the pieces together and copy them as one object, shrink it down a bit so it will fit inside the original fuselage half and unglue everything on that piece. I booleen subtract the cowling and the empenage so all that is left is the inside of the cabin. I then delete all the window pieces from this part, reverse the faces and texture them for the inside of the cabin...add seats, pilots, yokes etc. For the panel I render an image of the panel from Truspace and apply it to the panel area in the cabin so you can see it from the outside. After this I build the rest of the plane and name/animate everything.OK, go get another 12 pack and I'll show you how I do the panels...First thing I do is build everything for the panel(s) in Truspace.

After I have eveything built I insert cameras for the different angles views, side views, angled panel views, so on and so on.

Then I do a render with everything that needs animated in their first positions

Move all the animated objects to their next position....render the scene...move them to their next postion...render the scene...just keep doing this till I have all the individual "frames" I need to build the animations.The last thing I do from the graphics end for the panels is add effects to them in Paint Shop Pro. Effects like shadows in differnt areas of the panel, under glare shields, around gauges, just subtle effects that add a bit more "real feel" to the image. In this panel I added all the fabric headliner, the snaps on the headliner and shadows. Whatever I can do to add some more realism to the panel I do in PSP.

This is a very short and quick overview but hope it helps you out some. I'll post some pics of the Katana model that might help you out some too.c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg