Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bart

IFR flight plan with GPS

Is it possible to file an IFR flight plan in Fly!II without using VOR's? In the flight planner, when I hit the calculate route, it routes me from VOR to VOR. That is fine I guess, but I'd rather use a direct GPS route. When I hit the "direct to" button on the GPS, but have already generated the flight plan using VOR, the default ATC reminds me about every 2 mins that "I'm ## miles from the marker." Kind of annoying on longer flights.Will the default ATC recognize a direct GPS route? Maybe I'm goofed up here. Can you have an IFR plan that only follows a GPS route and not VOR's? Here is what I want to do specifically. I want to fly from San Jose Intl. to San Diago Intl. filing a flight plan. But I don't want to use VOR's.How can I do this?Thanks

Guest dajackman

I think. I never use the generate route. I always choose my own. Not all navaids are included that can be found on approch plates....

Guest Eagle

After using the FlyII flight planner and clicking on Nav Log, do you see the following:SJC - UAD - ROM - AVE - GMN - LAX - MZB - SANWhat do you want to change?You can add or change anything while in the Nav Log.

Which one is the NAV LOG button? I wish they had names on them instead of pictures.

Oops, nevermind. I figured it out.I have another question though. Can you program the GPS to track VOR's? If you create a flight plan with 10 or 12 VOR stations, then engage the autopilot with the GPS instead of NAV, will the plane track the VOR's, then the GPS automatically update when when you overfly the waypoint?I have used the autopilot and the GPS together before, but never with anything other then "Direct To".Thanks

Guest Eagle

If you are using the Flight Planner the Nav Log button would be the third one over at the bottom. If you used the Generate Button look to the right.You can get to the Navaigation Log by clicking on Flight Plan in the top menu also.