Sign in to follow this  

Fly!2 won't install

Bought brand new Fly!2 out of box, and cannot get it to install past 67%. Then get error message "error occurred during the move data process -106" File: STARTUP.pod. Have tried cleaning disc, cleaning harddrive, MS regclean; closed all startups. Using latest directx 9, Nvidia GEforce 2 64MB. Pentium III 650. Maybe defective disc? Tried everything I know of, would like to get back to using Fly; really like the original one.Any help greatly appreciated. Ken W

G'day Ken,Have you tried switching sound off in windows? Some people previously reported that switching off sound cured their installation AND patching process.See the anchored post at the top of this page re patching steps!!Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Colins2

Ken,In addition to Roger's suggestion, make sure you have no AV software running, especially Norton - this is almost guaranteed to stop the installation.Also, if all else fails, copy the entire CD to a temp directory and install from there. This has worked for some people in the past.Good luckColin

Thanks Roger and Colin, tried everything you suggest, still only loads up to 68% with dead stop at "STARTUP.POD". When I tried a backup on hard drive got error messages about corrupted files. Maybe next step should be request to replace product. (would be embarrassing if replacement failed to load also!)Ken W

G'day Ken,Hhmmm! Didn't want to backup to the hard drive. Faulty Fly! II cd's are unheard of but it's not impossible. Maybe an exchange might be needed. See if you can get it exchanged.Don't be shy of being embarrassed! I've embarrassed myself on this forum more times than you've had Sunday dinners. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Colins2

Ken,It's not unheard of for a CD/DVD reader to get faults.Just to be sure, try copying another full CD to your HD, just to check that it's not a hardware fault.Over the last month here at work I have had a CD writer go down and a DVD rom.The CD writer is a major brand name and had written 3 CDs in it's life!The DVD rom was not a major name, but had likewise only done very light work.Personally, I have only ever had 1 (factory made) CD that I couldn't read and that was due to a faulty centre hole - bad manufacturing.Colin

Colin: Tried install again with different drive, a slower one 16X instead of 52X. But still stopped at 68%. This time message came up "defective CD". That does it, will now contact supplier and request replacement. Ken