Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Aircraft Speed

Guest metaleye

Hello to all!Well my problem is as follow; I need a calculator that will tell me the speed I need to fly X distance in Y time. There is a maximum of 250 kts at or under 10,000 ft, so this has to be calculated apart from the crussing speed. Than means that climb and descent at or onder 10000 ft has to be at or under 250kts. Do you know a formula or shareware calculator to do this?Thank you all;

Search for E6-B. You should be able to find java applets for them. Or, if you want to go all out, go to a pilot shop and pick up one, the metal ones are kind of expensive for flight simming at around $28, the cardboard and plastic ones are fairly cheap though. It'll tell you all the calculations and conversions you need to know in the air.John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Student 38+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, MidCon, PMDG Boeing 757-200

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest pilotsim7828

I paid $ 89.00 for my ASA CX-2 Flight Calculator, And man is it ever hard to learn on.In other words complicatedJeff Here try this link , I have`nt seen a freeware flight calcultor yet ! hhttp://www.myplane.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1373 Man ,:-roll by looking @ that web site that one is cheaper than mine

I would have to ask why you need it.For Flight simming, MSFS has a built in Flight Planner, as does FLY!/FLY!II, and both will do basically what you are asking. Both will allow you to create a flight plan, tell you the distance between waypoints, and in total, and will give you ETA/ETE between points and overall. Both will also let you print out the flight plan with the time and distance information.For real aviation there are the Circular/Slide rule type E6B's (paper, metal, etc) and the Electronic calculator types (i.e. ASA's CX-2, Jeppesen TechStar, and Sporty's 'Electronic E6B').Lastly, there are the afore mentioned Java applets and other small programs built into flight planners (from Destination Direct, Jeppesen, RMS Technologies, and a host of others) and as stand alone programs. The one I like (and I believe its freeware) is the 'Virtual E6-B', copyrighted by Jesse Kempa.As for calculation, going from X to Y in T time is basic algebra : r * t = dOr, rate multiplied by time is equal to distance. By looking at a map you can measure Distance. By knowing Airspeed you can calculate ground speed, and thus know Rate. Then all you have to do is divide Distance by Rate to find time. And Airspeed can either be calculated or measured by Pilotage.In actuality it gets a bit more complicated as you throw in Calibrated Airspeed (CAS) vs Indicated Airspeed (IAS), vs True Airspeed (TAS). MSFS 2k2 actually has an Airspeed Indicator that allows you to set the temperature, and then adjusts a gauge on the ASI to show TAS, just like a real Airspeed Indicator in the Skyhawk, etc. (If I am not mistaken, CAS basically has to do with the position of the Static vents relative to the Airstream, and TAS is CAS compensated for variations in Temperature and Density.)Then there is always the Course heading vs True heading issue. If the plane has to compensate for Magnetic headings or crosswinds while in flight, the Heading Vector will make it appear that you should be going faster than you actually are. The fact that the Plane has to point into a cross wind will take out some of the Speed, and you end up with the TAS times the Cosine of the Wind Correction Angle as your ground speed.With all this said, and the above mentioned applets and other devices and programs, you should be able to find one that suites your needs.Happy Flying! :-waveT.C.

When it comes to flight simming, the cheaper the better, I'd personally go for the online java type ones, I use the $26 Jeppesen aluminium E6-B only because I have it for my real world flying.John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Student 38+ hours.Comment on recent flight: 24 minutes under the hood in really unstable air doesn't feel so hot.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, MidCon, PMDG Boeing 757-200

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Colins2

Heya PaulThanks for the useful link :)Colin

Guest pilotsim7828

If You dont know it ,I had the ASA IFR Disk that has the CX-2 Calculator on it,Copied to desktop and pasted the Icon that starts it, It`s so cool, HERE let me show you ! AND IT DOES WORK .Jeff

I agree with someone else the problem you stated is pretty bizarre - no real pilot performs this calculation, specifically no pilot would try to calculate speed based on desired time to go. Unless you pick your time just rigt you may get nonsensical results.The problem that may be solved is just the opposite - given distance you can calculate nominal, "slow" and "fast" time for your trip. But you need aircraft performance tables for that.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

True it is a bizarre way to go about flight planning. As a rule it's done by finding your time for the given distance and estimated ground speed. But it can be done on an E6-B, rotate the bezel to put time on desired distance and read the speed on the A scale. Unfortunately, you'll be getting what your ground speed should be, so then you'd need to compute winds to find TAS, then convert TAS to CAS then to IAS. In the long run, it'd be a pain in the butt. Needless to say, the idea of basing your speed off of time rather than time off of speed is more likely to lead into that potential killer of pilot's known as "get-there-itis".John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Student 39+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, MidCon, PMDG Boeing 757-200

John Morgan