Sign in to follow this  
Guest nycflyer

Lighthousen Error during TerraScene Slicing Process

I got the now "famous" Lighthousen error while slicing some New York City TerraScenery. I scanned all the prior posts on this topic and could not find any reason this should happen during scenery slicing, especially since I renamed the "data" directory prior to slicing (so it was totally empty).I never had this problem before during slicing. Any assistance is appreciated.FYI, I was slicing TerraScenery generated for tiles 202159 and 203159.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David,I would agree that this doesn't make any sense. TerraScene only slices the images it creates. The reason you want to rename the operational data directory and make an empty one is to keep TS from podding other items that may be in the same GT folders after slicing is completed.Also, this keeps scenery folders in the data directory that contain other sceneries from being filled with sliced TS data. These have to be removed so that Fly! has enough resources to function, and you don't want to end up accidentally deleting airport sceneries, etc.I'm at a real loss as to explain your problem, unless one of the data folders in question somehow contained the lighthousen reference.

Randall Rocke

Before launching TerraScene, I renamed "data" to "ProdData". TerraScene re-created an empty Data directory and placed DXXXYYY folders in there. So I cannot figure out why this happened. I never had this problem before with TerraScene.Hmm. Still at a loss. Anyone else with a perspective?-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David,Is there a pod in your scenery folder that contains the "lighthousen" reference pointing to either D202159 or D203159? I don't know why it would make any difference, but if such a reference exists you might try temporarily moving that pod out of Fly! to a holding area while attempting another slice.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

David,Not trying to be pedantic here :) but TerraScene didn't do it!TerraScene 'just' created the TGA image of your scenery area and the appropriate import .txt file.That done, TeraScene called the Fly! slicer to create the actual scenery and pod it.The data folder and sub-folders would heave been created by Fly!.The Fly! slcer somehow must have found a reference to lighthousen, probably as Randall suggests, in another POD somewhere.Colin

David,I found after using Terrascene to 'install' the Birmingham scenery of Paul Brooks I started getting the lighthousen error and started some postings about it.Scott Cannizzarro quite rightly suggested that there must be a scenery file with the wrong line in. I used Pod view to open the B'ham POD and found that SceneryYC.01 file had the incorrect lighthousen line in.Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to edit it correctly as it keeps reverting to the incorrect line once corrected.I don't know if this helps you at all but if anyone can tell me how to prevent the corrected line from reverting after I edit it I would appreciate their help.:-beerchug

Using the same Targa files as before (eg; I have not re-created Targa's from scratch yet), I tried to Slice today again. My settings in TerraScene were "Use Existing" on both the left pane and right pane. Before starting the slice process, I renames "Fly!2data" to "Fly!2ProdData" so as to be certain that there was no data directory. I then pressed Render and let the PC do its thing.See attached screenshot for error message, which I posted along with the active TerraScene window. Between the initial post above and this attempt, I have created Scenery in Maine and Massachussettes without incident using the same technique as above. I've never experienced this before, and I've even previously sliced NYC Metro scenery. I feel like I'm going to slap myself in the head when I figure this out, but with more than 60GB of TerraScenery never having this happen before, I feel something must be going on behind the scenes that's an anomaly with NYC.Help is appreciated.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

>it keeps reverting to the incorrect line once corrected.And this happens right after podding, I guess?How many letters are the Lighthouse entry?

I opened the 203160 directory in DATA (the one created by the Slicer), and inside are all the TM_XXXX.s00 files referencing models. Okay, that's no surprise. What is confusing is just how those files got there?I have Scott Cannizaro's (NYCFlyer) NYC models, his PODs, etc. in my Scenery/NY Metro and Scenery/Shared directories. But I thought the Slicer does nothing in those directories, only the DATA directory, which as I stated above, was totally blank. I am going to look through the RAS and RAT files, maybe there's something in there, but even if there is, I don't understand how it got there.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

"I opened the 203160 directory in DATA (the one created by the Slicer), and inside are all the TM_XXXX.s00 files referencing models. Okay, that's no surprise. What is confusing is just how those files got there?"Has happened to me a couple of times. On two of these occasions it was me forgetting to delete the TM-stuff left in Data. When I start Terrascening, I always check that this directory is empty. I think the slicer does not check the details, it just pods what it finds in there (as long as it belongs to the same tile)...Or it could be one of your finished pods containing things that should not be there.

Guest nycflyer

Dave,Those errors you are having is odd.I redid my terrascenery for NYC as well months back, with all the same NY scenery installed. I did the process the same as you describe and was able to complete it without any of the problems you are describing.Did you try removing the scenery pods that are called for the area before slicing? That is, the NY city pod, LGA, JFK, EWR , etc..., that are in the scenery folder. Just something to try.I'd be willing to send you my NYC terrascenery pod (203,159) on CD if you like. I even fixed those off shore grass plains that happen as a result of the USGS data off the coast.-----------------------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Like I said, I renamed Data to ProdData, so the slicer started with a totally empty (nonexistent) data directory.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Scott:Thx much for the offer. My next try, I will also rename "Scenery" to "ProdScenery" figuring that maybe somehow, although I've never seen this before, the Slicer is picking up something from that directory. Its funny you mention the grass plains. The reason I'm re-Podding NY Metro is b/c I recently bought PhotoShop Elements and filled in the water mask so this area will remain without grass. I'm also trying to fix the sinking taxiway at HPN I described in an earlier post - I think my elevations somehow got messed up in my current POD. If this next try fails, I'll consider your offer.BTW: I've never flown a real GA before. How would you like to arrange for a NY area flight - I'll split the cost with you. I live in White Plains. Could easily meet you at KTEB or wherever you fly from. Would love to sit in the right seat and experience this. I think you'll have to submit your credentials to my wife, but once I clear your skills with her, I'd be off the ground in no time.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest nycflyer

What would you be interested in seeing?I'd figure how much time we'd need and let you know about the next opportunity... send me an email.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB