Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

B737-500, B747, DC9-30 and B727-200 panels

Hi,I'm looking for a good panel for these aircraft : B737-500, B747, DC9-30 and B727-200.I know that most of these aircraft have their own panel but for example, I can't set altitude, vertical speed and speed for the B737-500 and DC9-30 series.Please could you tell me where I can find a good panel or how to set both altitude and vertical speed with the default panels ?Please keep me posted about it.Regards,;-)Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

G'day Damien,>>I'm looking for a good panel for these aircraft : B737-500,>B747, DC9-30 and B727-200.Damien from the composition of this post I'm not certain that you are not an MSFS simmer.Due the the very nature of the aircraft in FLY! II it is not easy to make alternative/optional panels for aircraft.As for the panels that come with the aircraft they are excellent and second to none for any sim. I don't really see your problem.>I know that most of these aircraft have their own panel but>for example, I can't set altitude, vertical speed and speed>for the B737-500 and DC9-30 series.For the DC-9-30 aircraft see the attachment. AP.jpgfor vertical speed1. engage the auto pilot.2. select the vertical speed selector3. then set the desired vertical speedThe AP will then try to maintain the set VS.Note: engine power must be suffient.you can't expect to maintain a climb of 3000 ft/min on idle power :-)The AP will alter pitch control to try to do it and inevitably you will wash off speed and STALL!! Be warned. This has happened in real life.IAS and Mach hold are simply a hold mode. IE. get there first and then select the hold function. The AP will maintain the speed by using pitch control (NOT THROTTLE- Do not confuse the speed hold functions with the Auto Throttle system.)Since both VS hold and IAS hold both use pitch variance as their means of control you cannot have both of them engaged at the same time. On the 747 they are different selections on the same mode selector switch! >Please could you tell me where I can find a good panel or how>to set both altitude and vertical speed with the default>panels ?????? nothing wrong with the panels with the original aircraft!There are no options - no need. :-)If you are an MSFS simmer then at least I hope this gives you an insight into the Auto pilot. Post again if you have any further questionsCheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Roger,Thank you for your answer !I have Fly! II, X-Plane 6.xx and Flight Simulator 2002.;-)Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

G'day Damien,We are all multi-simmers here. :-) I meant no offence.I have FS 2002, Falcon 4.0, and 5 copies of Fly! (all versions).Naturally Fly! is my favourite. :-)Now for altitude and vs setting. I am using the 747 as the example and if you understand this you will probably be able to fathom out the others without too much difficulty.1. get airborne and engage the auto pilot and select say heading mode. It will work in all modes except Approach ( with the glideslope captured)2 use mouse on the selector wheel to select Rate of climb. Just above the wheel is a digital readout that shows the rate as you select. There is also a small purple dot (bug) on the EFIS altimeter/ROC.Note: the AP will respond instantly and the aircraft will start changing altitude at the selected rate.3 now set the desired altitude you wish to climb to.4. This is the most important step. Make sure that once you have set the altitude that "alts" is displayed in white on the top right hand corner of the EFIS artificial horizon.Note: if after having set ROC and altitude you subsequently change either of these settings then MAKE SURE THAT "ALTS" IS STILL BEING DISPLAYED. If it isn't then all you have to do is joggle the altitude selector until once more it is displayed. Fail to do this and the aircraft will just continue climbing through and above the desired altitude. Best advice is once set - then don't fiddle.5. with 1000 ft to go you may (should) hear a chime.6. at 100 ft to go "alts cap" is displayed in green and all vs inputs are back to zero.7. At the selected altiude "Alt" is diplayed in green to signify that the AP is now in Altitude Hold mode (even though the switch on the panel is OFF). Simply manually move the switch up to the ON position.and there you go cruising along in Altitude hold mode at the selected altitude.Of course climb or descent can be set up. I've only been talking about climb.See the attacment pics in order for visuals.Hope this helps you. ALL fly aircraft that have this capacity work very nicely. There may be odd idiosynchrosies but just post if you are having problems with one particular aircraft and I'm sure you will get all the help needed.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Damien,Sorry I should have been more specific. Fly! II is my personal choice as a sim.You have actually answered your own question. Weigh up what you like as against what you don't and there's your answer.We all have different likes/dislikes so we don't all prefer the same sim. You don't have to justify your choice to anyone BUT YOURSELF :-)I am not a pilot and for me simming is a hobby and Fly! II is well set up for amatueurs to fiddle about with.Will I buy A Century Of Flight.? Not in the immediate future.Go visit the MSFS forum you will see this topic is widely covered.Just my preference. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY