Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Why I love this sim.......

Guest DSandberg

> in FLYII they totally blew it. Richard admitted this indirectly> during his speech at Lake Tahoe Avsim conference and he blamed> it (together with clouds and water reflections) on some staffing> issues during FLYII developmentI'm forced to agree that the Fly II clouds were quite a letdown when compared to Fly2K (especially if you include Sky! in the mix). And the whole weather engine took a beating as well. We attempted to fix the worst of the problems with the patch, but honestly in my opinion the whole weather system needed to be rethought.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to our friend, Richard Harvey.[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest Hagar

You have to understand that when you and Larry jump into a thread that starts with "Why I love this sim" in the Fly! forum, we feel the vultures (you and Larry:-hah ) is gathering around their prey...It would appear more natural if you had jumped into a thread that started with "Fly II VS FS2X". See my drift? Try to look at the things "from the other side" if you are able...I do understand you see a challenge in certain types of discussion, but it didn`t fit too well into this thread. Fact is you jumped into the wrong thread. I am quite shure you are able to do a more elegant approach than you did here. Like starting this kind of discussinon in your own thread here, that would have been a lot more fair...If you have the guts to do that or not, well that is your problem.Discussions like this one has become, does not belong in here, it should have been in a separate, general, neutral forum or thread.Gimme a better attitude and common sense please.

>You have to understand that when you and Larry jump into a>thread that starts with "Why I love this sim" in the Fly!>forum, we feel the vultures (you and Larry:-hah ) is gathering>around their prey...>>It would appear more natural if you had jumped into a thread>that started with "Fly II VS FS2X". See my drift? Try to look>at the things "from the other side" if you are able...>I jumped in because of this comment........"Even the latest sim can't match FLY's volumetric clouds it's just like the real clouds, that's why I like to FLY the Stearman and just feel the whisp of the clouds"Since I've had Fly & FlyII since nearly the beginning, and have dwelt with FS2004 for months in beta testing, I felt a correction or at least a "heads up" on the "new sim" was in order.Should I assume that most readers on this forum, do not care to check out what is new? Do they always assume MSFS never changes?Isn't it obvious that I've shown some rather impressionable FLY screenshots on other forums, to show what FLYII can be capable of also? I once did a five screenshot ---- short review on the screenshot forum totally devoted to Fly last year, when Rich was ill.It surprised a lot of simmers who wern't aware of the possibilities.L.Adamson

Guest Hagar

I was speaking about attitudes, and seeing what you have written here for years, make me write like I do. Blame it on yourselves.For my part I closely keep a watch on other sims, and then I bought the PMDG 737NG. Needed a sim for it too, FS2k is not an alternative with its ugly skies and ground textures, but luckily FS2k4 showed up, with skies more like Fly :)Fly! is still what I measure other sims against.

Guest chezz

Mr. LAdamson Sir,I don't intend to start a FLY vs other sim comparison here. I guess basing on the cloud screenshots the two sims you can tell clearly the difference in terms of "graphics" representations of the clouds (in terms of function this requires another discussion). One looks flat while the other is more robust and closely resembles real clouds. chris

This thread has gone into some directions that I'm sure Roger had not intended. Folks, let's see if we can keep our tone civil and "agree to disagree". I think Larry and Michal have really been quite civil in stating their views.I believe that Fly!II, with skies adjusted appropriately and Jure's clouds installed, has nothing to hang its head about. I must also say I'm impressed with the new FS04 atmospherics - obviously some great strides were made in this area.

Randall Rocke

Hi Chris, " the two sims you can tell clearly the difference in terms of "graphics" representations of the clouds (in terms of function this requires another discussion). One looks flat while the other is more robust and closely resembles real clouds. "It's all about comparing with real life and accuracy and cloud type according to the real thing, these cumulus clouds at near from this view, will never looks dark and robust, they should be whipsy and less shaped, clouds should looks more robust and darker at far distant and change when you close to them, lightning on clouds on some view, differents light on altitude and hours. This should be implemented in the weather engine code. If you want a realistic weather/environment you should not get these:-Evident of repetitive clouds-Few clouds around the aircraft -1 clouds type, non far clouds-limited clouds 3 layers.-Non haze color that's smootly gradual in the sky, this remove all the realisme on the sky system, no matter which tweaking you made.-Sky should get deeper in color with higher altitude.All problems/details I have talked about from above, are all resolved/implemented in fs2004 coding.And, who care about default stuff in any sims anyways, they are all customizible in fs2004.RegardsChris

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I'm a real pilot and I counted the Terrascene globe tiles completed so far... 62! I use FlyII to recreate actual flights I have made and throw in worse weather, preview flights before making them. It's a great sim for IFR (I Follow Roads). I also have MS FS2k2 with MyTraffic and think it's a wonderful flying game. FlyII is what I use as a sim though.My father uses FlyII on his Mac and my cousin also uses it... all real pilots.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tonyc

Hi, Larry. I didn't want to get into this, but I guess I will. From the individuals who usually reply to this kind of thread, it should be obvious that FLY2 is their primary sim. Why, however, would you assume that this does not make us familiar or already owners of msfs?My love of FLY2 does not in any way suggest that I do not own( or wont buy future versions)other sims. I guess it comes down to my liking old british cars: I happen to have a Triumph Spitfire and enjoy it very much. One day I go to a gathering of Spitfire afecionados to spend time with folks who love these cars. Now, why would I enjoy someone joining the group to talk about why jaguars are better than Spitfires? Or, better, always compare my car with others? FLY2 fits many people, including me. Is it perfect? no. Maybe that's why I like it. I give it more perfection than it really is. Maybe it's what it represents: Richard's dream and ours... of the underdog pushing the envelope. Maybe FLY2 is about emotions and not "objective" comparisons. Does it really matter? the fact is that in the FLY2 forum I should be able to praise this sim. It's obvious that at this point in the life of the sim, criticizing it would beg the question. It's like criticizing my Spitfire. A lot has happened between these models and today's sports cars. So what? I still prefer the old, unreliable, ones. Let go, Larry, and enjoy being a closet FLY2 lover. We wont tell the others in the msfs forum. ;-) tony

>Let go, Larry, and enjoy being a closet FLY2>lover. We wont tell the others in the msfs forum. ;-) >tonyHeck, I'm the one............ that plasters FLYII screenshot's across the MSFS forums! :)Of course that means, you have to put up with a few MSFS screenies here..... :) Is it a deal?????edit....... one thing about my FlyII screenshot's in the MSFS forums. I do make sure the screenshot's are of rather good (actually high:)) quality and interest. I don't believe there has been "one" negative comment about them in the MSFS forums of Avsim or Flightsim.com. I've even stuck some P-51 cockpit shots in Combat forums. L.Adamsonsome more..... ROTW P-51 from the archives..http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25268.jpgengine out..http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25269.jpg

Guest tonyc

I miss the days when we could put screen shots in these forums. Using the "screen" forum is at times lonely and distant. So keep the guard...tony

G'day Randall,I've been off air a few days getting updated with new motherboard and chip etc.I certainly stirred up a hornets nest. :-eek I can't understand why I can't post a feel good thread about how I'm enjoying my hobby with the sim of my choice on this forum without starting up a tirade of my sim is better than your sim posts raining on my enjoyment. "Agree to disagree"? Unfortunately it takes maturity to do that and that is in short supply here on the forum.Why I love Terrashape! (just beyween you and me)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Roger,Well, I think that this forum does fairly well in the long run. Don't ever hold back on sharing what you like (and don't like) about this sim. I guess the main thing I would compare it to is not some other program, but the real thing - and that's what keeps me coming back.

Randall Rocke

Guest Jan

You nailed it Randall :)Jan