Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Phoenix TS Pack Almost Ready for Upload (pic+)

I have new render packs tested for the American Southwest - specifically the Phoenix, Arizona area. The new render pack was compiled from the existing base textures. Though there are a few textures I wished were better, overall, the result is close to the real world.In this shot we are looking south from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport area. The South Mountain park area is desert texture and came out fairly well. The city streets have a little too much green in them, but there is no other texture available from the base pack to convert to - you will note that suburban textures are nice and brown, however, as they should be. :-) The agricultural areas are much browner in texture and work well, I believe.

The links below should give you a more well-rounded view of the area:1. Over the Mazatzal Wilderness Area2. Over PHX, looking north towards Camelback3. Over Payson and the Tonto Forest area4. Near Scottsdale, looking to the northeast

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,Great screenshots!! Marvelous scenery, well done.And you get all of that information from digital downloads? Geez it's very detailed. I tell you mate there is absolutely no justice on this earth. :-(Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Thanks, Jean. I can tell from your image that you have put special touches into your modeling, especially with lighting - very nice! Also, it appears that your scenery has custom models for realism. I have already uploaded the first two parts of the render and image packs, so I'd go ahead and upload the airport. :-)You may note from the image of PHX looking north towards Saddleback that one airport scenery for PHX already exists - the one in my image is a frame-friendly version by Wayne Roberts. Wayne has done a marvelous job of creating basic TerraModels versions of many airports, doing the Fly! community a tremendous service. I see no reason for people not to have an option in this case, mattering on the power of their systems. I know it takes a lot of work to develop scenery like this - again, thank you!

Randall Rocke

Hello Roger,Ouside of the very detailed LULC data, I really believe it's the DEM files that make the U.S. scenery come alive. With good digital elevation data, the shadowing (and therefore the 3D-modeling) of hills, valleys, mountains, etc, really come alive.One thing I will do in the next 24 hours is post a copy of the custom render pak I edited to get these colors and textures for this very desert area of the American SouthWest. It's not perfect, but it is made up of a number of the optional extracted 7.5 m/p textures that were extracted during the TerraScene install. I'm calling it SW Browns, (Southwest Browns). you may want to try it when rendering desert areas for Down Under - maybe just do a small area and see if it would be appropriate for you?

Randall Rocke

I know that you had used the Wayne Roberts version of PHX, and he did a great job with all the airports he provided. This is not to detract his work. I just had converted my FLY I version of PHX some months ago and keep it for myself. People will have the choice for either version.GreetingJean

Jean,I need to give credit where credit is due - the copy of PHX that I have is from the "better than nothing" series of Kurt Kalbfleisch.Ironically, Wayne has now uploaded his version of PHX - looks like we all get to try 3 different versions. I'm looking for ward to yours!

Randall Rocke