Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Phoenix TS Images - Repost

For some reason, all of the images from my original post on this have been deleted. Here are the missing images....looking south from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport area. The South Mountain park area is desert texture and came out fairly well. The city streets have a little too much green in them, but there is no other texture available from the base pack to convert to - you will note that suburban textures are nice and brown, however, as they should be. The agricultural areas are much browner in texture and work well, I believe.

The links below should give you a more well-rounded view of the area:1. Over the Mazatzal Wilderness Area2. Over PHX, looking north towards Camelback3. Over Payson and the Tonto Forest area4. Near Scottsdale, looking to the northeast

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,I just look at these pics in awe. They are just as good as any of the high definition satellite photo scenery pics I've seen. I think maybe your previous pics were accidently errased.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest michaelb

Randall,Thank you for the very nice work. The few times I have flown into Phoenix my face has been pasted against the aircraft window looking out over the scenery. This looks great.Looking forward to getting this loaded on my system over the weekend.

Michael,FYI - There are 3 files if you go "all the way". The first is the standard render pack and data, etc.Then, there are two optional "Image Repair Kits". The first includes major edits where images included apparently erroneous USGS data that placed a few wierd "plots" of textures that had nothing to do with the regular scenery - edits in these images also blend a couple of spots where flatlands met hills and mountains without a proper blend. The second image kit includes the worst of a set of minitiles where I edited out improper "ridges" in some mountainous areas. If you use the 2nd repair kit, the 1st kit is also required.This is a process I have developed to help overcome the huge files that would have been created if everything had been uploaded in one package.I hope it turns out well for you and that it gives you scenery that is close to the real thing. On a recent trip to Phoenix (last month), I got a good look at a lot of the area - it was a big help on choosing textures to approximate it.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Randall;This Zip file on Avsim, Is for makeing your own scenery of this project,.How large is the file going to be After Rendering ?It looks Very nice,After downloading the 188MB zips, I was just wondering about the size of the total project filesThanks for all of your work,I Might say a lot of them too :)Jeff

Jeff,I'm away from home right now, but if memory serves me, I recall that the rendered global tile was about 385MB (which includes night scenery and water masking). This is about on par with an average TS global tile running about 390MB.The good thing is...if you do download the edited image files, they will reduce the rendering part (before slicing) significantly, as TS will then skip over rendering those particular tiles from scratch. It will then combine all those images into one image before proceeding with the night image. The water image is already finished, so time is also saved there.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Thanks for your quick reply ,Parsing as of right now,Unusual!!!!! I have never seen a shapefile until now,I wonder what I was doing wrong ?Jeff

Jeff,You would not normally see a shapefile when using TS for creating scenery in the U.S. They are manual additions.The shapefiles you are seeing are my updates to the USGS data from the U.S. 2000 Census. These add new landscape details (parks, golf courses, airport grounds, etc.) and new roads, highways and lakes.

Randall Rocke