Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Randall Roche AZ scenery Pak

Guest GOODY

Ieagerly awaited your download releasesHOWEVER. after checking out the installation process i figuredat 88 years old I could not do all the operations.I still only understand scenery pods.Is there any way I can benefit from your expertise????GoodyGoody@cableone.net

Goody,Do you have TerraScene 2.1 installed on your system and the textures extracted according to Todd's instructions? It would certainly be nice if I could just upload rendered scenery like we did with Fly!2K, but the resolution difference in Fly!II makes that impossible - the files would just be too large.What I've done is downloaded all the data files, added custom updates from the 2000 Census, edited them for you, created a custom render pak for the southwest, and corrected errors and other details. Here are the basics:1. You just copy my files into the identical folders in TerraScene. If you also downloaded the repair kits, copy all the image files in the output folders of those kits into the output folder of TerraScene2. Rename the regular Fly!II data folder so it won't be damaged in the process (hold_data, old_data...something like that)3. Create an empty data folder in its place for the render4. Set the render parameters in TerraScene exactly as I list them in the instructions. If you are using my Repair Kits, then set the parameters that are listed in the Readme of the repair kits. You may want to note my short post on some simple corrections for those Readme files.5. Click render, go to a movie, go to bed, etc.6. When everything is finished, close TerraScene7. Delete your temporary data folder in Fly!II - rename your old data folder back to "data"8. Look in the Fly! IIscenery folder and you will find the new Phoenix folder with the POD and SCF file in it. You can leave it there, or, if you like to be organized, create a subfolder like Fly! IIsceneryUSAZ and move the folder there9. Start Fly! II, teleport to KPHX and go Fly!If you run into any trouble or need help with TerraScene itself let me know. If you haven't had TerraScene in your system before now, you'll find this a great boon. Once you have it installed, I think you'll find it easy to render scenery with prepared packs like this.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Hey !!!!!!!!!!!How come Mine did`nt turn out like yours Randall ??????????Attachments:Oh Stupid me, I went to the wrong Airport, It DOES LOOK /NICE !!Jeff :-lol Is There going to be scenery made for this airport ?

Jeff,First of all... :-lol You really got me with those first images. You know, I never realized how much that aircraft looks like a dolphin from that angle.I'm glad the render went well for you. If the airport you're speaking of is KPHX, the scenery already exists. Wayne Roberts has a nice TM version.Also, Sabatier posted that he is finishing up a beautiful revision of the airport from Fly!2K (custom) and will be uploading it soon. As for the other airports in the area (and there are a lot of GA airports there), I'd love it if someon would go to work on the Scottsdale, Deer Valley, and Glendale strips.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

That`s Funny, !I never noticed until now , That there is no wing on the right side , Or am I just looking at it wrong .JEff*:-*

Guest Eagle

Randall, I did not realize that I had done KPHX. I just did another one and uploaded to library. I guess my list of airports is not up to date.I will work on the three airports you have listed. In fact I have been doing airports in Arizona.

Wayne,My apologies - actually, you haven't (until now)! I mistook PHX for yours when looking at my list of AZ airports, some of which (like Grand Canyon) were yours.The version I have appears to be from Kurt Kalbfleisch. Looks like there's going to be a nice choice of 3 PHX versions for everyone! :-)Thanks for doing those airports - both in Arizona and the Carolinas! The next area I'm doing will be up around Sedona Arizona, then I'll return to the Carolinas after a week's vacation. Sedona would be a great airport to model - it's a neat GA airport nestled between the beautiful RED mountains of Sedona - kind of on a plateau surrounded by the mountains. The Texture pack is going to take some work!

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Hi Randall, Just one request, Please :)How about before leaving AZWhat about the Grand Canyon , KGCN ? Mine did`nt turn out so good, Mountains Are all Greenthank you Jeff

We'll see. Making new textures for Sedona will take some time. When they're finished, they will probably be appropriate for the Grand Canyon, as much of the GC has the same color as Sedona and the Red Rock areas.It will matter on time after that, as I really need to get the Carolinas finished.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

HI Randall:I recently uploaded the Sedona airport. Perhaps that will be an incentive for you to complete the scenery. I will spend some time in Arizona doing airports, so if you have additional requests let me know. The dynamic vehicles are out. For some reason I cannot get them to work properly in the scenery that you have done. That doesn't mean that there is a problem with your scenery, far from it. Your scenery adds a lot to the FLYing experience. Perhaps this winter when I have more time I will try and find a solution to the dynamic vehicle problem.

Thanks much, Wayne - boy, that was fast!Are you saying that dynamic vehicles don't work at all or that they work but at the wrong altitude? I noticed that your dynamic vehicles were running at Savannah after I rendered, but they were "sunk" into the ground up to the bottom of the fuselage. All of my sceneries have accurate elevations from the Digital Elevation USGS data - it must have something to do with the slight variance btwn the fault and the update.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Randall;Maybe you can help me here , Just thought I might give you a break on your busy schedule,But I wanted to know why this MONSTER of file size,This Grand canyon is going to be SSOO LARGE.going through 11/12 Renderings4/7 parseseachfile pod is around 366MB EACH> 12 filesWhat do you think of this picIs there going to be needing painting to get this to look right ?thanks Jeff

Jeff,The pics are good (certainly better than the default) - what render pak did you use...my SW Browns from the Phoenix pack or one of your own? The problem with the desert tones is they don't match the area - like Sedona, there is a lot of red in the ancient rock of the canyon. Once I create the Sedona pak, you are welcome to use it for the Canyon. Later on, I could render the area with Tiger Cenus shapefiles added.As far as size goes, a pod for a global tile should average about 390MB when created with 7.5 m/p textures. Most of the Grand Canyon is in one global tile, I believe (176,155). I'm curious - where are you coming up with 12? There is a part of the canyon to the west also (175,155) - the two tiles would contain 100% of the Park.Now the canyon itself can be traced from Glen Canyon thru Lake Mead, so I guess one could make a case for up to 5 global tiles?

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Thanks Randall; I think I`ll wait for your render of sedona , I used David Khols'Grand canyon, Rockies/canyons texture!Well ,, where I am up with twelve files are that it covers an areaof from Las Vegas State Line to the New Mexico State Line,BUT not as far south as Sedona I dont think I want to keep this rendering, I have bad frame rates, And the total size of the scenery is 1 GBthanks Jeff

Guest Eagle

Randall, have you tried raising the elevation of the dynamic vehicles at Savannah?