Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Fly!2 CTD - I'm at a total loss and ready to give up

Guest tonyc

the diodes are unreliable, but I would still use them to see if, under load, the cpu increases in temperature at a rate that would indicate insufficient cooling.tony

Hi David.>>3-Did you ever run 3Dmark2001 on that system,>successfully? I don't know what 3DMark2001 is (and I've not>run it)This is a free benchmark util. but it does change the mode of the Video and uses most of the attributes of the GPU. I find a lot of the problems with the drivers / system compat. with it. I would try it and see what you get.>>4-What aircraft are you using when the CTDs occur. Its>happened on every aircraft I have in my hanger - default and>add-ons>>5-What view/ Cockpit, external? All views >>6-What are your settings for scenery?, Medium, High res etc?>See my Fly.ini file - I can't recall for sure off the top>of my head. Its posted in the initial post to this thread>Try C172, cockpit mode for this test.>>7-Are you running any other apps in the background, Norton>>etc. or any FlyII related Tasks, Flyscripts! etc. I have>Nortan Antivirus, but I turn off auto-protect prior to running>Fly. I have FlyScripts, but I've had the CTD both when>FlyScripts was activated and when its not been activated.This could be a problem, but we can look at it later, there are many tasks / services, running in the background in an XP.>>8-Is your paging enabled in the performance menu?Paging is>enabled. Paging is on C: whereas I run Fly!2 on another HD.>Don't know if that is meaningful but I figured I'd mention>it.This could be the one thing that may help the most, disable this, you only need it for large apps. Photo Shop etc. and it's a real problem child.>>12-What is the WX set at? Clouds, Vis. etc. I use Jure's>Big Mammas. I often load METAR. I cannot for sure say I've>only crashed with METAR loaded, but this is my preferred way>to fly, so its possible (I haven't kept track), that I CTD>only when METAR is loaded. I'll give a few flights a shot>without any clouds to see if I can come up with anything on>WX.Try no clouds and Med res. and Hi res around 6, Straight and level on AP for a while.Good luck. TV

Hello David,Forgot to add that in addition to the render file I uploaded to you that I added an additional case fan. No CTD's since before my last post to you. I hope you get it figured out cause I shared the frustration you had. I love this sim but it really starts to bum you out when you get into a good flight (especially approach or short final) and get a CTD. CFSIII will still CTD with high graphics settings.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Went through the setup screens (help) on MBM5, but I can't seem to get any sensors except clock speed. I have a Dell, using a Pentium 4. That said, I bought a UPS yesterday and plan to buy a small external fan that I can clip to the leg of my desk and blow some more cool air around the back of the PC.I have an internal (2nd) PC slot fan, I'm going to move that to the slot right next to the NVidia card.I also installed the latest Omega drivers yesterday. Someone reported that they are more stable than the latest 44.30 drivers on NVidia's website.I'll report back shortly....-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I was under the understanding that this is ignored for NVidia cards. What does this number mean?-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'm still getting CTD's. I just took a flight from KHIE to KBOS. About 20 minutes into it in the Cessna 172 with no clouds, daylight clear conditions, I did a quick outside scan of the scenery and >>> boom 802.11b card and modem are the only two I could take out. Sound I need and extra HD is where Fly!2 is installed).This is leading me to believe it is, in fact, heat. I had moved my PC-slot fan (which sucks air out of the PC, designed to increase overall airflow) next to the VisionTek card, in hopes that it would help pull the hot air away from the card. But it appears that this didn't help. I wasn't able to get MBM to work.I'm gonna try one more experiment... I have a fan in the basement. I'm going to clip it to the leg of the table next to my PC and run it so it blows ambient air to the back of the case. Maybe that'll take the temp down a degree or two. Maybe it'll work.BTW: Any opinions on the PC-Slot fan that "sucks" air out? Could this be doing more damage than helping? It seemed like a good idea when I bought it - keep the air moving - but maybe I'm missing something.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

Here`s some real-world experience regarding temperatures: Above 42 degrees celsius inside an electronics cabinet is like seconds from mailfunctioning, or a total blackout. Have had this problem on several occasions...the whole plant shutting down without any pre-warning. When you get around this temp inside the cabinet (or PC), the temperature inside all those tiny components on the PCB might have passed around 70 degrees celsius, which is the industry standard Max Tolerance temp. If you want more than that, you order Mil-Spec components. Guess your GF is NOT Mil-Spec :-hah Just info, no solution...

Hi, Andrew.Long time since I exchanged information with you.Are you still writing code for Fly!? I agree with your Case temps. The Case temps should be in the 30s, typically around 27 is considered Room temp.Actually a good rule of thumb that we use is junction temps are aprox. 3x the Surface temps, convection cooling / no heat sink.But we are now talking about the sensor that is inside the die itself, which is very close to the transistor array. At least that is what the Athlons have. TV

Guest Hagar

Hi TV,I have spoken with you before, was that in the Falcon4 forum? Anyway, I have been in here since Fly! I remember you for shure, going a long time back. But I am not a code guy, only a scenery developer, and electrician :)And I see you know your business. I absolutely agree with your case temperatures, and your thumb rules. I remember two years ago, sitting in the control room on a sophisticated survey vessel, I told the chief engineer that if the temp raised above 45 degrees, we might get a blackout on one of the two 4MW propeller drives or both. Thirty seconds later we lost one of the drives and I spilt my coffee. Should have kept my mouth shut.We solved it by running the drives with open doors, and adding new fans! Like I had to to with my AMD computer in summertime in order to avoid unexpected CTD`s. I`m better off with my new P4, cool CPU this one, never passing 50 degrees celsius.