Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Computer help needed.

G'day all,I've recently installed a new motherboard and AMD chip into my computer and retained all the old hard drives with all my favourite programs still on them. On boot up all my devices were automatically detected and drivers were found for them so I just kept pressing next until windows 98 SE was satisfied that all was well and I wound up at desk top. My question is this; - on looking at control panelsystemsdevices I notice that for every USB device windows has loadeda USB root directory file anda USB host controllerSee the attacment jpg.Is that correct?? It sure doesn't look right to me. I would have thought that these programs would only need to be loaded once. BUT I know diddley squat about operating systems. There are no conflicts and the devices all appear to be perfectly functional.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest pilotsim7828

Hello Rodger;I noticed on my AMD Athlon, When I installed Mine that all the usb Drivers are on your hardrive should be in your Device Manager, Also If your using Any Usb devices that it should need to be loaded also'Just my 2 centsAttachment as shown....... also I have 4 usb ports 2 in Back, 2 In frontAlso I noticed on your desktop Icons you sure have a lot of shortcuts Right Click on the Icon once,Go down to Rename, And click oncethen Rename Shortcut to Fly! 2, To FLY! II.... Much neater , I thinkAnother 2 cents worth of GUM :-lol Have Fun With the new SYSTEMJeff

Guest Colins2

G'day Roger,If they are all working, then I wouldn't worry too much.If they (USB devices) stop working, then delete all references to USB and let Windows find them again.CheersColin

G'day Colin, Thanks for the reply.>If they are all working, then I wouldn't worry too much.>If they (USB devices) stop working, then delete all references>to USB and let Windows find them again.Yeah did that and windows simply finds them again and loads them three times so it may be normal. Anyway it all works; so there's no panick - yet!Oh I loaded the 4 in 1 service pack and that also loaded with no problems. I think they were just patches for the motherboard chipset for AGP and USB 2.0.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'dat Jeff,Thanks mate. I can see now why I have the usb root and usb pci host files three times. They are the drivers for the usb ports. I have 6 usb ports. 2 on the back, 2 on the card plugged into the motherboard and there is another set of usb pins on the motherboard that I can also use.Everything is working just fine.Yep fair criticism. I changed the title of the shortcut. Shame on me. I have chastised people on the forum for using Fly!2 (no such animal) :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'dat Jeff,Thanks mate. I can see now why I have the usb root and usb pci host files three times. They are the drivers for the usb ports. I have 6 usb ports. 2 on the back, 2 on the card plugged into the motherboard and there is another set of usb pins on the motherboard that I can also use.Everything is working just fine.Yep fair criticism. I changed the title of the shortcut. Shame on me. I have chastised people on the forum for using Fly!2 (no such animal) :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Steve, If only that were true mate. To tell the truth I am still not happy with the hard drive I/O performance. When I exit Fly! II or even windows for that matter the Hard drive rumbles away for about a minute before I finally get back to desktop. I'm only using 256 MB of ram at the moment. Getting another 256 MB tomorrow. I'll see if that helps speed things up a bit. If it doesn't I haven't a clue.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest swathdiver

The USB thing is normal. Of all the computers I've built they never worked right or at full performance unless the main hard drive was formatted with a clean install of Windows. Get everything you want to save off the main drive and do the dirty deed. I hate it too but she'll run better. Definitely get more memory!Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

G'day Swathdiver,Yep added another 256 MB of memory and the shut down running of the hard drive has stopped. From Fly! II to desktop now only takes about 2 secs (instead of about 30 )which is about the same as it was prior to the MB + CHIP update.The Gigabyte 4 in 1 service pack seems to have sorted out the few AGP glitches and everythings honky dory so I'm reluctant at this stage to do a full format and reinstallation at this stage ( if it aint broke don't mess with it ) but I'll keep it in mind if any funny business starts happening. All my USB peripherals are working fine (touch wood :-) ).Cheers,Roger @YSSY