Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Hardware question for the experts

Guest richpress

If I had to choose between upgrading my CPU from a Celeron566 to a pentium 850mhz or upgrading my Nvidia TNT2 32meg video card to a Gforce 64meg to more effectively run Fly 2, which would you suggest?

Rich,That's a really tough call - you didn't say how much RAM you had, but I'll add that to the equation. RAM is so cheap these days, that I would recommend 256-512MB (or more) as really helping with programs like Fly! II.Now, as for your question, you would certainly see an improvement with the 850 CPU, but if it was a choice btwn them, go for the card. Fly! II really, really needs video power to load those textures. Even with 64MB, you need to use average distance settings. With a proper render.ini, you will be able to fly smoothly with scenery objects set to complex and distance from 20-30 miles.

Randall Rocke

Guest tonyc

your cpu will determine your frame rate. Your video card will determine your ability to use complex scenery. With what you propose, you will encounter low fps from time to time. I disagree with Randall: go for both or you will hardly see the difference.tony

G'day Rich,I've got a foot firmly planted in both camps here. I agree with Randall that if you haven't got at least 512MB of system ram then that would be my first priority; upgrade the ram.I also believe that a 64MB card would be of greater benefit than the jump up to a P III 850 cpu. My first upgrade was from the same card as yours to a 64 MB geForce 2 GTS/PRO and I was very happy with the results. I agree with Tony in that upgrading just one of the above is unlikely to satsify Fly! II appetite for computing power but if you are prepared to move the sliders off maximum then you will have many happy hours flying the best GA sim around ( feel free to step in here Larry :-) ). Always keep in mind Rich that even the most powerful of home computers can be humbled by Fly! II. If anyone thinks they have a setup that can master Fly! II then I want to hear about it. :-)Cheers mate,Roger @YSSY

Guest richpress

Thanks for the help Guys.