Sign in to follow this  

Can this be REAL CONTRAILS??????????? I don't think so!

Guest HeavyFan

Here is a Pic i seen on Airliners.net! It lloks to me to be added?? But I dunno, could an airplane actually make Contrails this large in flight?? Looks like maybe Photoshop woek or something!! Those Trails are HUGE!!!!! take a look........>>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file/239080/M/

nah mate thats real alright...quite a spectical id have to say...must ave been a hell of a lot of moisture in the upper atmostphere tho.u can tell its real from the way the trails interract with the planes own air displacement...they curl over towards eachother...thats not an easy thing to do in photoshop or watever digital program uve got.but dont worry mate i must admit they do look ridiculously large..

I believe this to be an original and un-retouched photo, although the angle of the photo could be adding to the effect. This is just one of those rare occurrences of the perfect conditions for huge contrails. Contrails can grow initially (and rapidly) to over a mile wide. In fact they can (under the right conditions) grow over a longer period of time to 15-20 miles wide if left undisturbed. Next time you notice a contrail try to spot the aircraft that is creating it. Notice (use your finger or a pencil to measure) the relative size of the contrail in relation to the wingspan and also note how it grows over a period of time. Even small contrails are relatively large in relation to an aircraft.

That is truly an impressive picture.Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but what are contrails for? :-hmmm I noticed a plane the other day with them on and after a while they got shut off. Never really understood what their purpose is. *:-*

>That is truly an impressive picture. >>Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but what are contrails >for? :-hmmm I noticed a plane the other day with them on >and after a while they got shut off. >>Never really understood what their purpose is. *:-* Well, you can't shut them off an on in real life like you can in FS2002.Contrails are technically like cirrus clouds. Basically the engines are highly compressing the air and when it comes out the engine exhaust the saturated air forms into ice crystals which you see as contrails.

Hi Costas:A contrail is a natural phenomenon

Thanks Kathy and Scott. That explains it. I was at my local airport the other day and I saw a jumbo decending from about 16,000 to about 11,000. As it decended, the contrails went away. Maybe the air was a bit warmer coming down.Regards,CostasKLWMDell Dimension 4400 Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz640MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHzNvidia GeForce2 MX400 (2832)20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive48x Variable CD-ROM DriveMicrosoft Windows XP

Costas,16000 feet seems a very low altitude to have contrails

Guest mikehaska

Unless of course you believe those are chem-trails...Legend (or should I say Urban Legend) has it that the government is using overflying aircraft to deliver mind control chemicals to the population. I admit, this would be an ingenious way to do so...Check out this site:http://www.carnicom.com/contrails.htmIt's all a little far fetched :-lol but if you start reading those sites to much... you may start to believe http://plaudersmilies.de/uhoh2.gif